WD-SanDisk Merger Approved, Finalizes May 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I see nothing wrong with WD Branded Flash Drives

Been happy with my last decades of HD purchases from WD (black, and blue drives only.)

PaulyAlcorn

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

Been happy with my last decades of HD purchases from WD (black, and blue drives only.)
I agree that there is nothing wrong with WD flash products, but the imaginative dual SSD/HDD drive is not going to gain much market share, let alone when compared to the heft of the SanDisk product stack. It's SSHDs are also nice, but the price of NAND has fallen fast enough that these "inbetweeners" are no longer enough to make a meaningful impact, which would ensure economies of scale (and sales) that churn hefty margins.

WD made the right decision, and now there is definitely nothing wrong with their product stack - they have an SSD for every day of the month :) This does raise the question of how they will brand them, though. Will the SanDisk name live on?

A great SSD company merging with a great HDD company. Both make reliable top-notch products.

I was wondering what WD was going to do to stay relevant as the market continues to move away from mechanical drives. Now I have my answer.

jt AJ

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
[quoteI agree that there is nothing wrong with WD flash products, but the imaginative dual SSD/HDD drive is not going to gain much market share, let alone when compared to the heft of the SanDisk product stack. It's SSHDs are also nice, but the price of NAND has fallen fast enough that these "inbetweeners" are no longer enough to make a meaningful impact, which would ensure economies of scale (and sales) that churn hefty margins.

WD made the right decision, and now there is definitely nothing wrong with their product stack - they have an SSD for every day of the month :) This does raise the question of how they will brand them, though. Will the SanDisk name live on?
[/quote]

i can only see intel and samsung destroy wd/sandisk in the high margin enterprise market. unless of course sandisk can be competitive in power saving as well as endurance and performance, and pricing.

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Sandisk was competitive and keeping others from not jump with the ssd price up, hope the same strategy keeps up so us, the consumers gain from it... Except enterprise and cctv i do not use hdd anymore... I rather get the cheapest 1tb ssd and put in a bunch of them...

lol i would rather an overpriced WD SSD that i know will last 10+ years than any segate drive that will only last 3 years :D

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I agree that there is nothing wrong with WD flash products, but the imaginative dual SSD/HDD drive is not going to gain much market share, let alone when compared to the heft of the SanDisk product stack. It's SSHDs are also nice, but the price of NAND has fallen fast enough that these "inbetweeners" are no longer enough to make a meaningful impact, which would ensure economies of scale (and sales) that churn hefty margins.

just in a personal way i use computers, i see a great use for ssd/hdd hybrids for the near future.

notebook drives.

part of it is ssd, the boot section, with room for a few programs (60-120gb of space) and the rest is mass media storage up to what, 1tb, or 1.5tb?

best of both worlds, i get my fast boot time for starting up and i get mass storage for movies or games.

granted we will likely see within the next 2 years any use for hybrids die, as normal hdds will hit 10tb of space or more for the 300$ price point and 200$ will get you a 1tb ssd, so any use in a laptop would be pointless additional failure points.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
"WD, like Seagate, is dealing with a declining desktop PC market that contracted 10.6 percent in 2015 and is predicted to continue to decline in 2016". Right, it's a predicted failure in Seagate's own world :)

KungMagnus

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Why the hell do two american companies on NASDAQ need approval from the Chinese ministry of commerce? Any1 good with the law who can explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.