[SOLVED] WD SE 6TB Datacenter Hard Disk Drive (WD6001F9YZ) in 2020 vs WD Red (WD60EFAX)

finalhk416

Reputable
May 16, 2017
Hi all,

I originally ordered the WD Red 6TB model, but they sent me the WD SE instead. I am not particularly familiar with this drive, and I am only planning to use the drive for normal desktop use (it was on discount and cheaper than the WD Blue). Per the response I got, I could keep the SE or return it and wait for a week or two until they could send me the WD Red. It seems like it was a reliable drive, but considering the fact that it came out quite a bit ago, I am not sure if I should keep it and save the trouble. Your responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Solution
Hi all,

I originally ordered the WD Red 6TB model, but they sent me the WD SE instead. I am not particularly familiar with this drive, and I am only planning to use the drive for normal desktop use (it was on discount and cheaper than the WD Blue). Per the response I got, I could keep the SE or return it and wait for a week or two until they could send me the WD Red. It seems like it was a reliable drive, but considering the fact that it came out quite a bit ago, I am not sure if I should keep it and save the trouble. Your responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The WD6001F9YZ is a great drive. That is an enterprise quality 7200 rpm drive with a 5 year warranty and would work fine -- better than a WD Blue. Also be...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi all,

Thanks!
The WD6001F9YZ is a great drive. That is an enterprise quality 7200 rpm drive with a 5 year warranty and would work fine -- better than a WD Blue. Also be sure not to buy an SMR WD Red like THESE, including the WD Red WD60EFAX.

In other words, keep it -- it is the best of anything you listed.

Reactions: finalhk416
Solution