Question WD sn750 and 970 EVO Plus

Feb 9, 2022
I’m considering buying the WD as I had an hdd if theirs for years with no issues. But then 970 EVO Plus looks promising as well.

Both SSDs are dram correct? I care less about what’s faster, both are more than enough for me. I do care about their heating. I read Samsung has some technology to control heating but then I read a bunch of comments it’s overheating? Couldn’t find any about the WD but as well they got no info about its heat state. I play video games for hours a day, and I don’t need the SSD to overheat, which one do you recommend?

Yes both of those have DRAM's and both are good drives. I have the 1TB 970 Evo Plus in my machine, bought the SN750 for someone else (one with the heatsink). You won't go wrong with either.

As for heating, my Samsung 970 Evo Plus was like the surface of the sun without a heatsink. Any fast NVME will get very hot without a heatsink, that's why I got the SN750 heatsink version because board didn't have one.

I can't remember the exact temperature of the SN750 but it ran fine, no temperature concerns there. The heatsink version of the SN750 is much much better than a naked 970 Evo, though I'd expect a naked SN750 to also run hot. My Samsung 970 Evo Plus would hit 92C+ on the NAND Flash and 70C+ on the controller and I didn't need to do much to get it there. Just general use, running a game would be enough to get it to just sit at fairly high temps. It does come with a copper sticker on it, but I found it to be inadequate. I never noticed my 970 throttling though.

I stuck an EKWB heatsink on mine and temps came right down (load temp of 50C). I also have better airflow now so that somewhat helps. If you have a motherboard with heatsinks over the m2 slots, then you don't need to worry. It doesn't take much to control these things. Just out of the box I find NVME's generally run hot.

If you were to purchase any high performance NVME and put your own heatsink on it, don't take the existing sticker off, there is no need. Just put the heatsink straight on top of it.

Reactions: ZuluGapurtu
I’m considering buying the WD as I had an hdd if theirs for years with no issues. But then 970 EVO Plus looks promising as well.

Both SSDs are dram correct? I care less about what’s faster, both are more than enough for me. I do care about their heating. I read Samsung has some technology to control heating but then I read a bunch of comments it’s overheating? Couldn’t find any about the WD but as well they got no info about its heat state. I play video games for hours a day, and I don’t need the SSD to overheat, which one do you recommend?
Heat.
I have a 750 without a heatsink.
The hottest I've seen it get is 48c and that's running repeated benchmarks on it.
I suppose it depends on what type of cooling you have around it.
I don't think gaming really bangs away at the disk.

Reactions: ZuluGapurtu