Question WD SN850 with x570 pro

djwagz

Prominent
Feb 9, 2021
Orinially a ton of people who got the SN850 and trie to install in an X570 board had tons of issues from slow speeds, to not recognized etc. Especially is put in slot 2 which is linked to chipset. This is where I would be using it. I have a good deal on one, but it seems theres nothing but problems. However WD came out with an update in July that fixes these things. Has anyone tried it and it works?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I answered your question on PCGamer as well.

You have options, other than the WD, if you are still concerned.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I"m running a 980 PRO first slot (usually only slot on some boards that do gen IV speeds). Unless you have a specific workload its kinda of a waste. if installing a heat sink don't remove the stock label or you will void the warranty.

The S70 for 125 looks like a decent deal. (I know I know all the 8200 stuff, honestly I had an 8200 and it was fine. I'm supporting what they did, but no issues out of my S50 lite or 8200).

I think most SSD's if they don't fail quickly will last a while. I installed a 19.99 SSD in a family's member PC and its still running strong after 5 years. Samsung is my FAV (lot of companies use them), but the 980 pro was the only SSD drive I ever had that failed or failed in my family circle. (I know small sample size) and I'm not saying their bad by any means. But be sure the label is on the drive or they will deny the warranty.

I'm a little bummed the normal 980 dont' have dram, but seems decent for most people.

I'm going to vote the s70 (125) or the sabrent rocket for 130

Good luck!

Reactions: Sidkain