WD Unveils PCIe Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Nice. Now all WD marketing have to do is confuse the hell out of it customers with naming these drives.

Its bad enough we have WD Black (enterprise), WD Green (low power), WD Blue (normal), and now WD Purple (DVR / Video survalance). Now SSD too.

Toms really need to fix their comment system!!!!

G

Nice. Now all WD marketing have to do is confuse the hell out of it customers with naming these drives.

Its bad enough we have WD Black (enterprise), WD Green (low power), WD Blue (normal), and now WD Purple (DVR / Video survalance). Now SSD too.
4 colors are too complicated for you? What would you say about Intel's nomenclature then...

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Hopefully this isn't a double post.
You forgot Black2, Se, Re, Xe, AV, and the VelociRaptor drives and these drives that confuse the Hell out of me: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/retailkits/

Here's WD's full catalog: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/

There must be specialized firmware in each of the product lines. Still, I have difficulty believing hard drives can that significantly different from each other.

Sep 30, 2013

I don't agree with anything except the latest.

But how you're moved between pages totally suck.

lp231

Splendid
WD Drives aren't confusing, Those color naming scheme are basically for consumers, while the rest is for enterprise.
Consumer side:
Velociraptor=10K rpm drive
Black=Performance
Blue=Mainstream
Green=Power Saver
Red=NAS
Purple=DVR survalance
Any other drives like, SE, RE, RE3, XE are enterprise drives and they don't use color schemes.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I won't buy another WD HD I've had 3 fail out of like 5 to hell with that piss poor reliability record in my experience with them on top of that SSD's just are a crap load better than rotating mechanical HD's.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I completely forgot about Velociraptor and WD Red drives and I am not even an average customer lol.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Just how much of a speed increase can WD get from a mechanical drive? It would have to be close to double before I'd even consider utilizing one from a very limited supply of PCI-E slots for that purpose.

iogbrideau

Reputable
May 28, 2014
The trouble with using PCIe is that very few computers have free PCIe slots that are not already taken or obstructed by graphics cards.

I don't think they use the same PCIe as we use for graphics cards. They aren't the only type of PCIe out there.

milkydoo

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
There's no way people are going to have 2-6 drives plugged into traditional PCIe slots on a full sized MB. I'm sure there will be a new standard for a "SATAx" port on the way, assuming it can't use the current sata ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS