Question WD120EFBX WD RED Plus 12TB No Longer Initialized

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I have a 12TB WD Red Plus (WD120EFBX), my plan was since I have space to run cables out of my case, my motherboard has the option to make all 4 SATA ports hot-pluggable. My purpose for doing this was that I often connect this drive to multiple computers, but I did not want to be limited to the USB 3.0 speeds of my Sabrent dock.

I went into my BIOS (MSI X570 Unify latest version) and turned SATA 1 port to Hot Plug Enabled, saved and exited, powered the machine off, and turned off the PSU. With the system shutdown, everything unplugged, PSU turned off, I plugged in the SATA power and data cables to the WD RED Plus. All of the cables plugged back in, PC wouldn't turn on after turning on the PSU. I immediately turned the PSU off and unplugged the drive. Turned PSU and the PC back on and it booted up fine.
After putting the disk back into my Sabrent dock it says it's not initialized. I immediately shut down the computer and unplugged the dock and drive.
I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't write anything accidentally to corrupt the data that I have on the drive.
The HDD is about half full, I was in the middle of consolidating my data to then create a better backup environment, but the dock was excruciatingly slow. Is there any possibility of re-initializing the drive in the exact same way as it was before and get it back fully functioning with the data in tact, or is the only route using a free data recovery software? The problem with that, is there are some very large files, some a few hundred gigs and most of the free software I know has a limitation on file size, over all size recovered or both. Any guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

Did you swap SATA power cables between two different modular PSUs? If so, then you may have damaged your drive. That's because the modular pinouts are not standardised.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702-psa-on-mixing-modular-psu-cables-dont-do-it

I expect that your WD drive no longer spins up in the dock. If so, there is often a simple DIY fix. Can you show us a detailed photo of the component side of the PCB?

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
No, I'm not sure what you mean. Everything I said was about 1 PC, my main. On the second and tertiary+ systems I will use the dock on all except the main PC. For the time being, since I got this HDD It has only been connected through SATA, data and power to my main machine. I have only ever used the SATA power cables that came with the PSU and the SATA data cables that came with my motherboard. I don't understand how that me not doing that came through in the original post.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850GF 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
So, at this point, do I try to recover files with recovery software, and if so, which? Or can I reinitialize and hope that it reinitializes the same way as it was initially initialized and potentially have my files in tact. I know the latter is wishful thinking.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
No, you don't mess with software until you find out why your HDD is shutting down your PSU. That's a hardware problem. You can't fix a hardware problem by clicking something.
I apologize for the long time for me to respond. So what do you suggest? I am using the Modular cables that came with the PSU and the SATA cables that came with the motherboard.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I don't want to make the situation worse by plugging the drive back in unless it is the only way. So do I shut everything down unplug everything, plug the HDD back in without the hot-plug option on and hope that it shows up like it did before in my dock?