[SOLVED] WD400 PCB replacement ?

racachaquero

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello, I recently toasted the PCB from an old hard drive by mistake, and now I'm looking for the right replacement.

My drive
========

MDL: WD400BB-00JHC0
DATE: 12 SEP 2005
DCM: HSBHYTJCH
WD P/N: WD400BB-00JHC0

(Silkscreen text)
PCB: 2060-701292-000 REV. A

Little sticker near the Molex connector reads:
2061-701292-000 AN XC 2D42 0B4Z 8 0007100 6107

Donor
=====

MDL: WD400BB-23JHC0
DATE: 13 MAR 2005
DCM: HSBANTJCA

(Silkscreen text)
PCB: 2060-701292-000 REV. A
Little sticker near the Molex connector reads:
2061-701292-000 AG XW 2033 UNWX 9 0006370 5376

Note that the donor has the same exact PCB silkscreen text as my drive, but the sticker near the Molex has a different letter (AG vs. AN), and the rest is different too, (I don't know if this part is important, what is it?)
The donor also a different DCM and while mine is 00JHC0, this one is 23JHC0. The dates are also very different (6 months apart).

So would this one be a good replacement board?
I'd appreciate very much your help as I'm doing this for the first time

Cheers

Solution
In general, the minor revision numbers don't affect compatibility. Sometimes the RAM capacity may differ between PCBs, in which case moving to a smaller RAM capacity may render the donor PCB incompatible. Different model numbers in the same family will normally be compatible, after a ROM transfer.

Edit:

If you upload your ROM dump, I could verify its checksums.

racachaquero

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi, I already have removed and dumped the contents of the ROM chip just in case.

My question is about my possible donor PCB. Does it look ok?
The PCB version and revision match, but the part number of the disk is slightly different.

The link you posted has a different PCB version number, by the way.

What's more important, the part number or the PCB version and revision numbers?

In general, the minor revision numbers don't affect compatibility. Sometimes the RAM capacity may differ between PCBs, in which case moving to a smaller RAM capacity may render the donor PCB incompatible. Different model numbers in the same family will normally be compatible, after a ROM transfer.

Edit:

Last edited:
Solution

racachaquero

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Edit:

Great! Here's the ROM dump
I didn't know where to upload it, I hope this is ok.
Thank you