[SOLVED] WD40NDZ-4tb keeps going to an image ?

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
i've had this for 2-3 years . never dropped. stored in hard case. i start pc .it's fine. no one touches cord,etc i go to delete 5 min,10 min after start, windows error report [ actually helpful for once] says i can't write to it, scan or repair it because it's an image ? am i lucky i can watch it ? thanks in advance. i've never seen this in 20+ years

EDIT: i'm such a dope. sitting here i got the urge to test usb cord [duh !] #1. my 6' usb extension must be dead and #2 my 6' usb 2.0 cord is dead [THAT ONE GAVE MY POOR DRive the click of death and my heart skipped a few beats ! ] i'm down to 6" cord that came with the drive but it solved my problem.. also it had xmwn dark phoenix only playing for 20 min and the extras wouldnt be recognized. i was going to delete it. it's a complete file now and plays fine. sorry bout this post. i can't delete it that i know of

Last edited:
Solution
I would try two things. First open an elevated command prompt window, right click run as admin and then type:
diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the problem disk, assuming it shows up in the list)
clean
exit
Then use disk management to GPT partition and format the disk.

If that fails, then download, install and run WD Digital Dashboard.

I am assuming that the drive is attached to your system via a SATA attachment, if it is in a USB dock and these do not work, please advise.

RealBeast

Titan
I would try two things. First open an elevated command prompt window, right click run as admin and then type:
diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the problem disk, assuming it shows up in the list)
clean
exit
Then use disk management to GPT partition and format the disk.

If that fails, then download, install and run WD Digital Dashboard.

I am assuming that the drive is attached to your system via a SATA attachment, if it is in a USB dock and these do not work, please advise.

Solution