Question WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ SSD makes quiet high pitch whirring noise on startup - Installed on Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Normal?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hello,

To be absolutely sure my system was compatible, I watched this video which had the exact same model laptop as mine. I was able to install the NVMe SSD properly with it hanging at a 45 degree angle and it works completely fine. Video: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Replace Bad HDD With New NVMe SSD, Upgrade Memory, Clean Windows 10 Install - YouTube

However, I noticed that on startup only if I put my ear right next to my laptop, I can hear a high pitched whirring noise. It also seems to sometimes make noise at other times but I can't hear it unless I'm really close.

Is this normal? I heard from other people and videos that they have had SSDs that do make noise but they are completely functionable and work well.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hey there,

SSD's have no moving parts, so I expect it's not the SSD that's making the noise. It's possible it's the CPU in a low power C-state which can sometimes cause this noise.
Yes, however I've never heard this noise until I've installed the SSD and it is on the left side of my laptop.
My CPU is on the right and I do not hear this noise.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
It might be just exhaust fan whine. If possible please check you disk health status by installing CrystalDiskInfo. It can tell if there is a problem with the SSD
Yep, I've already looked at it many times crystaldiskinfo, diskgenius and dashboard for WD shows no problems.
My fan is also on the right side of my laptop, I hear no noise from the fan but instead the NVMe SSD.

https://prnt.sc/1qtah24

When you say "whine" do you mean the fan or CPU causes the SSD to make the noise or the parts themselves? I'm still positive that it's the noise is coming from the NVMe itself.

Edit: This is where the NVMe is located if you're wondering https://prnt.sc/1qtaohh

TRENDING THREADS