Question WD_BLACK 8TB D10 Suddenly Asking to re-initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Drive has been working fine for over a year, with no drops, bumps, or jostles. I do not leave it plugged in or connected to my computer for long periods. Upon reconnecting the drive to my PC, the light came on, and the drive spins up but did not show in explorer, so of course, I opened Control Panel and Disk Management, and it is asking me to Initialize the disk. I've been using this drive for over a year with no problems. WD said, "This looks like you have disconnected the drive from the computer improperly." This did not happen. It is still under warranty, and they emailed me a list of over a dozen places where I can pay (WD affiliates ) to recover the data out of my pocket. Then I can send WD the drive, then they will replace it. The drive is a little over 50% full. I don't have the money to pay a WD affiliate business to do this. I have not taken the step of initializing(re-initializing) because I believe that would corrupt all of the data on the drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to reclaim most or even some of the data if possible; if it cannot be done or reconstructed with software or techniques that I am unaware of, I will just re-initialize it myself and send it straight to WD. The most important items on it that I want to recover are a few System Images that I have not had the chance to make a secondary backup on. I know 2 is 1 and 1 is none, and have gone as far as I can by RTFM :) Thank you!

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you have an external hard drive enclosure you could try with it? The idea is to get it read somewhere, somehow, by some software like Recuva.

Since you appear to realize that you don't have a backup, I don't need to urge that in the future. I would recommend you not leaving an HDD stored and unused. You're trying to maximize data security not necessarily hard drive lifespan and it's far better to have a hard drive in a computer with a slightly shorter lifespan, that can be constantly monitored for problems. Would certainly make automatic regular, monitored updates, the gold standard, possible.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for the quick replies, I've been a tech myself for well over a decade, but I am and will always be an eternal noob. The drive spins fine, no chirping or chunking noises, so that's usually a plus unless you're hearing/feeling absolutely nothing. This is 1 of the 2 only external drives I own, I just happened to be migrating some things when this happened. I understand that when you use anything mechanical, there is wear; more use, more wear. I have a few multi-HDD docks on my desk, but they will not do me any good as this is an external WD_Black D10, and if I shuck it, I don't think WD would be likely to honor the warranty replacement I mentioned. I will have those reports momentarily!

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you for the quick replies, I've been a tech myself for well over a decade, but I am and will always be an eternal noob. The drive spins fine, no chirping or chunking noises, so that's usually a plus unless you're hearing/feeling absolutely nothing. This is 1 of the 2 only external drives I own, I just happened to be migrating some things when this happened. I understand that when you use anything mechanical, there is wear; more use, more wear. I have a few multi-HDD docks on my desk, but they will not do me any good as this is an external WD_Black D10, and if I shuck it, I don't think WD would be likely to honor the warranty replacement I mentioned. I will have those reports momentarily!

Honestly, I missed that this was already an external.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I am not familiar with this DMDE tool, it looks fine, it shows the physical disk and the proper name for it, but I'm worried if I do something that causes a scan, or it automatically re-initializes the drive that I may be SoL on my data.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Seeing as how I cannot access the drive with CrystalDiskInfo or the partitions in the DMDE program, is my data unrecoverable? I most likely can acquire everything that was on that drive except some documents that could exist in other System Images that I may never need. Are there other resources I might look into that won't cost me money? I think my window for the warranty replacement will end in September, I am weary of relying on this drive anymore. I am not sure if they were going to send me a new drive or something that is refurbished, but before I send this one to them, should I reinitialize the drive and scrub it before I send it back to them?

i would first run CHKDSK on the drive with scan and fix parameters in place.

many times it can just be corrupted data tables or something that Windows can easily fix itself and you'd find that everything is still intact.
I'm worried if I do something that causes a scan, or it automatically re-initializes the drive that I may be SoL on my data.

I cannot access the drive with CrystalDiskInfo or the partitions in the DMDE program, is my data unrecoverable?
it is also possible that all the data is corrupted and even when using a 3rd party data recovery software you may find that any recovered data is not complete / not usable.

this can just be a hard lesson learned; always backup important data.

Last edited:

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
So, can I run CHKDSK on the drive even if the PC can see the drive but not the partitions? Which parameters should I use? It's been a long time since I've had to use that tool. I'm surprised that it is still recognized as "Game Drive" by Windows. Should I just reinitialize and hope for the best? Is there anything that would be more helpful if I connect it to my Linux box?

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Hmmm... fzabkar, I blew out my machine about a week ago for an unrelated issue, I don't happen to remember if the issue was before or after that. I saw this in my Optional Windows Updates section this morning: Western Digital Technologies - WDC_SAM - 11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 1.2.0.0. I installed it and restarted it, that didn't make a difference, but might I try uninstalling and reinstalling any of the USB items in Device manager? Ex_bubblehead, I just went through WD's site to confirm, the WD_BLACK page, specs, and data sheet say nothing about encryption. I know that the MyBooks have encryption, but my WD Easystore, and Elements do not.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I apologize for not getting back sooner. I will check them out tonight. Since it is 8TB it would have to be GPT correct? Is there any chance if I re-initialize with GPT, is there a chance that any of my data could still be intact? Or does initializing again with GPT definitely screw the data?

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
Well as the drive stands, currently 0% of the data is useable. The best I can think of is to Initialize it again, and if the data isn't right there, then try to use free recovery software immediately after. Please let me know if there is anything other than that to try.

UberOriginal

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I thought I'd give an update: See attached...
Once I got up enough courage to initialize the drive, this immediately came up. Fail
I appreciate the guidance, Looks like I'm going to RMA to WD. I greatly appreciate all of your time and experience trying to help me with this!

UO

USAFRet

Titan
I thought I'd give an update: See attached...
Once I got up enough courage to initialize the drive, this immediately came up. Fail
I appreciate the guidance, Looks like I'm going to RMA to WD. I greatly appreciate all of your time and experience trying to help me with this!

UO
For future reference:

Status
Not open for further replies.