WDC Black 4TB or WDC Red 6TB for my gaming needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Villasenor

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
✖ PC Parts:
◦ Intel i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Processor
◦ Cooler Master Hyper 212X Processor Fan
◦ Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark S Motherboard
◦ Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz Memory (RAM)
◦ ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB OC Edition Graphics Processing Unit
◦ Samsung SSD 850 EVO Solid State Drive
◦ SeaGate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive

◦ Cougar SL600 Power Supply Unit
◦ Fractal Design Define R5

✖ PC Peripherals:
◦ Razer Blackwidow Chroma Gaming Keyboard
◦ Razer Kraken 7.1 USB Chroma Gaming Headset
◦ Razer Deathadder Chroma Gaming Mouse
◦ Razer Goliathus Control Gaming Mouse Mat
◦ Razer Butthus Chair Pillow 2000
◦ Logitech G400s Gaming Mouse (For CSGO)
◦ Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel
◦ CreativeInspire A500 5.1 Surround Sound System
◦ Bose Companion 5 5.1 Surround Sound System
◦ AudioTechnica AT2020 USB+ Cardioid Condenser Microphone
◦ AudioTechnica AT2035's Shock Mount
◦ Rode PSA1 Boom Stand
◦ Samson PSO1 Pop Filter
◦ BenQ 24" RL2455HM Gaming Monitor
◦ HDT Generic Monitor
◦ 2 x hand towels for my sweaty hands.

So here are my PC parts, I highlighted what needs to be addressed.
I'm a avid gamer and video/audio wizard. The computer is used all day erry'day so durability could be a criteria. But don't worry, if it survives 3 years, I could have already saved money for another one. (Except for storage, broken storage = lost data...)

I currently have a total of 1TB of storage.
500GB from an SSD and 500GB from an HDD.

The SSD is under 50% and I want to keep it that way to keep it crisp and minty.
But my HDD is already at the red line, so here's the question should I get the 4TB Black or 6TB Red for my Steam directory?. If I buy the new HDD, my documents, files, movies, music will remain on my 500GB since it only occupies ~100GB of it.

Some questions that I'm curious for answers:
1. I like fast loading times. Are loading times NOTICEABLY faster between black and red?
2. Money doesn't grow from trees, so if you have another HDD that's a bang for my buck, can you suggest another one?
3. Should I wait for a 10TB HDD or go dive in now?

Thank you for reading through my post! :)

Rami Zerker Reini

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
WD Black = Maximum performance for power computing. (desktop)
WD Red = Increased workloads and reliability. (NASware storage or desktop)

The black series are well and wide known as reliable, long-term alternative for any sector of users, from desktop users, to gamers and professional power-users.

Hey there, J_Villasenor.

If you're deciding between those two drives only - go for the WD Black HDD. They are faster than the WD Red drives and are the performance model as Rami Zerker Reini has stated. The WD Red drives are primarily designed to be used in NAS devices and RAID setups.

@das_stig has mentioned the WD Purple drive, that's not going to be a good idea for gaming. Basically the Red and Purple drives have specific firmware features and tweaks so that they work best for the purpose they've been designed for.

The WD black drive also comes with a 5-year limited warranty compared to the 3-year warranty for the Red and Purple drives. You can check all the feature of the WD Black drive here: WD Black

As for 10TB drives, basically such large capacity drives are created for datacenters mostly and have been optimized for work on racks and servers. They are also not the best choice when it comes to gaming.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

J_Villasenor

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

I'm quoting your reply mainly because you've addressed and summarized what everyone has said.
I have also found out that my retailer is also selling Greens for 6TB. Does the size of the Green outweigh the speed of the 4TB Blacks?

Also, thank you so much for everyone giving quick and insightful feedback. I was just going to drop by my retailer 2 days from now! Especially when a WD Official replied to this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.