WDC WD2000JD SATA drive hangs during XP install

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
131
0
18,680
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Further to my post of 9/18/2005, I have installed a floppy drive and obtained
the driver disk for the SATA drive, in order to reinstall WinXP SP2.

The installation goes fine up to and beyond the first reboot. Then during
the fourth bullet point "Installing Windows" with 39 minutes to go, I get:

Fatal error: An error has been encountered that prevents setup from
continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could
not be installed. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
device error. Press OK to view setup log file.

And the log says:
Installation failed: H:\I386\asms. Error message: The request could not be
performed because of an I/O device error.

I have tried three times. Same error same place every time.

I should appreciate any feedback or tips on this one.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers way before the 39 minutes.... it
will be the first thing it asks for during the bootup from the CD.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"Jonno" <Jonno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F12E31B-1FD1-4D2D-ADC6-3E426F5AC44F@microsoft.com...
> Further to my post of 9/18/2005, I have installed a floppy drive and
> obtained
> the driver disk for the SATA drive, in order to reinstall WinXP SP2.
>
> The installation goes fine up to and beyond the first reboot. Then during
> the fourth bullet point "Installing Windows" with 39 minutes to go, I get:
>
> Fatal error: An error has been encountered that prevents setup from
> continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup
> could
> not be installed. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
> device error. Press OK to view setup log file.
>
> And the log says:
> Installation failed: H:\I386\asms. Error message: The request could not
> be
> performed because of an I/O device error.
>
> I have tried three times. Same error same place every time.
>
> I should appreciate any feedback or tips on this one.
 

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
131
0
18,680
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

As an MVP you will be well aware that had I not pressed F6 and installed the
SATA RAID drivers at the appropriate time the SATA drive would not have been
visible at the start of the install process, so I would not have gotten past
first base. So obvoiusly I did install the SATA RAID drivers at the
appropriate time and without a problem. The problem occurred later, after
the conclusion of the text only section and after the first reboot.

I would still be grateful for any constructive comments or feedback.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers way before the 39 minutes.... it
> will be the first thing it asks for during the bootup from the CD.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> > The installation goes fine up to and beyond the first reboot. Then during
> > the fourth bullet point "Installing Windows" with 39 minutes to go, I get:
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Sounds like it could be a defective hard drive?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Jonno" <Jonno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F12E31B-1FD1-4D2D-ADC6-3E426F5AC44F@microsoft.com...
> Further to my post of 9/18/2005, I have installed a floppy drive and
> obtained
> the driver disk for the SATA drive, in order to reinstall WinXP SP2.
>
> The installation goes fine up to and beyond the first reboot. Then during
> the fourth bullet point "Installing Windows" with 39 minutes to go, I get:
>
> Fatal error: An error has been encountered that prevents setup from
> continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup
> could
> not be installed. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
> device error. Press OK to view setup log file.
>
> And the log says:
> Installation failed: H:\I386\asms. Error message: The request could not
> be
> performed because of an I/O device error.
>
> I have tried three times. Same error same place every time.
>
> I should appreciate any feedback or tips on this one.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

This may be a long shot, but here goes does the computer support SATA and
ATA/IDE connections? If so you might be able to finish the repair install
using an IDE connection. Then, install the SATA drivers from within windows
from the original location or from a floppy. Then just remove the IDE cable
and replace the SATA cables and reboot, what do you think?

Thought it might help..
j;-j

(This is an excerpt from MS Win XP Inside Out )

Your system crashes after text-mode Setup is complete.
The most common cause of a STOP error (also known as the Blue Screen of
Death, or BSOD) during Setup is a missing or incompatible driver for a disk
subsystem. If your computer includes a high-performance IDE controller
(typically identified in the BIOS as ATA-66 or ATA-100) or a SCSI boot
device, Windows XP might not include a compatible driver for that controller.

The best solution to this dilemma is to download a driver that is compatible
with Windows XP (in most cases, a driver designed for Windows 2000 will work
just as well). Copy the driver files to a floppy disk, and restart your
system. When text mode Setup begins, look for a prompt along the bottom of
the screen that asks you whether you have a storage device that uses a custom
driver. Press F6 at this point; when Setup finishes loading its files, it
will prompt you to supply the floppy disk containing the custom driver.

If you can’t find a compatible driver for your high-speed IDE controller,
you can usually continue with Setup by shutting down your system and
switching the drive cables to the standard IDE controller (you may need to
adjust BIOS options as well). Disk performance will suffer somewhat, but
you’ll be able to complete Setup using the built-in IDE drivers. You can
supply the correct drivers (and switch the controller cables) later.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Jonno" wrote:

> As an MVP you will be well aware that had I not pressed F6 and installed the
> SATA RAID drivers at the appropriate time the SATA drive would not have been
> visible at the start of the install process, so I would not have gotten past
> first base. So obvoiusly I did install the SATA RAID drivers at the
> appropriate time and without a problem. The problem occurred later, after
> the conclusion of the text only section and after the first reboot.
>
> I would still be grateful for any constructive comments or feedback.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers way before the 39 minutes.... it
> > will be the first thing it asks for during the bootup from the CD.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > > The installation goes fine up to and beyond the first reboot. Then during
> > > the fourth bullet point "Installing Windows" with 39 minutes to go, I get:
> > >
>