WD's New Network Media Center Offers 1TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
What do you mean? they sell them here in dick smiths with the 1TB drive, i think it's the same thing based off info from the text.

Note: Dick smiths is a real store in Australia and New Zealand.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]What do you mean? they sell them here in dick smiths with the 1TB drive, i think it's the same thing based off info from the text.Note: Dick smiths is a real store in Australia and New Zealand.[/citation]
Read more carefully - the article explicitly states that the exclusivity deal with Best Buy is for USA only.

G

also, the 1tb version has no ethernet connectivity... at least the one I saw for $249AUD didn't.

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
This uses the same chipset as the WDTV Live Plus... the Sigma 8654... the WDTV Live HUB also has a hardware installed RealTek Gigabit Ethernet port, but that Sigma Chipset does not support Gigabit...

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]sgvtech[/nom]This uses the same chipset as the WDTV Live Plus... the Sigma 8654... the WDTV Live HUB also has a hardware installed RealTek Gigabit Ethernet port, but that Sigma Chipset does not support Gigabit...[/citation]
Does it support streaming from other network devices? if so, gig will be required for 1080p (I do it today with a PS3 and PC). If not, I don't see what you'd really need gigabit to the device for.

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
10/100 ethernet can stream 1080p very well in fact. I stream 10GB to 30GB 1080p high bitrate movie files just fine to my media players... Most of the time it is more than enough unless you are doing file transfering and not streaming or if you want to stream to multiple devices at the same time - that is when Gigabit would be recommended.

G

Sgvtech: What configuration of equipment do you have? What media center do you have? I have a New Samsung TV/LCD (Wireless DLNA), lags when playing video over 700mb from NAS110. Lags even when all devices are connected to my network via Gigabit switch. I'm now looking for a new network media center, any suggestions? please email me: alexchetty@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.