[SOLVED] We couldn't set your default save location (0x80070005)

bdelvillano

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
I am trying to download games from the microsoft store to my hard drive since my ssd does not have a lot of space left. When I try to download a game like microsoft flight simulator on my hard drive, it says it is not set up for games, so when I go to change the default save location to my hard drive, it says what the title says, and to 'try again in a bit'.
I have tried:
-Taking full ownership of WindowsApps folder/my hard drive
-Deleting WindowsApps
-Deleting WindowsApps in safe mode
-Deleting Wpsystem from both drives
-Renaming my hard drive (from D drive to E)

I know the simplest way to fix it would be to just reformat my hard drive, but I have a lot of steam games (among other things) already on it and it is a pain to reinstall all of them. Is there some other way I can fix this?

Solution
re steam games: if you have 2 drives or more in PC, you can move the game libraries to another hdd without downloading anything . I moved some of mine from hdd to nvme inside steam client - https://www.howtogeek.com/269515/ho...e-to-another-drive-without-re-downloading-it/

taking ownership in win 10 can be dangerous, careful what you do or a reinstall of win 10 might be only choice.

careful trying to set default save location. Windows isn't smart, it only has one location. for everything. So relocating it to anywhere other than C will also mean Drivers won't install right, updates won't install right... or do you mean default save location for apps?
I do have an external hard drive, but it takes forever...

Colif

Win 11 Master
re steam games: if you have 2 drives or more in PC, you can move the game libraries to another hdd without downloading anything . I moved some of mine from hdd to nvme inside steam client - https://www.howtogeek.com/269515/ho...e-to-another-drive-without-re-downloading-it/

taking ownership in win 10 can be dangerous, careful what you do or a reinstall of win 10 might be only choice.

careful trying to set default save location. Windows isn't smart, it only has one location. for everything. So relocating it to anywhere other than C will also mean Drivers won't install right, updates won't install right... or do you mean default save location for apps?

Last edited:

bdelvillano

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018

I do have an external hard drive, but it takes forever to move files to it since its not very fast. I may just do that overnight tbh since everything else I have tried has failed

Solution

TRENDING THREADS