We couldn't verify the product key, please check your installation media

jay_productions

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Hello guys i am in trouble and need your help please!!

I have a new PC built, when turning it on, it comes up with the ASUS advanced menu, and the BIOS screen, as its an ASUS H87-M PLUS motherboard.

I would believe all the drivers are installed already on the PC as i got it built from a shop.

I have windows 8 professional on DVD, and i inserted it, it booted and i selected my language and everything, BUT then when it gets onto the product key page and i put in a valid product key with all characters correctly put in, it just freezes for like 10 minutes!!!

Then it says WE COULDNT VERIFY THE PRODUCT KEY, PLEASE CHECK YOUR INSTALLATION MEDIA???

I dont want to try and get a new copy of windows 8 professional because it might do it again, plus i have heard many other people have experienced this problem?

Please help me get past this page, if i need to install new drivers then please advise me how i do this?

I have the SSD installation CD and the ASUS motherboard installation CD.

game junky

Distinguished
I agree with vrumor - I purchased a tablet that had 8.1 on it and upgraded to 8.1 Pro so I could add it to my work domain and when I tried to install the upgrade it froze and then when I reattempted the key it freaked out. Tech was able to get me squared away and their chat support was actually awesome. Highly recommend it

Big_Rob43

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Big_Rob43

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Jay did you find the solution to your problem??? I am having same problem! I bought a new hard drive for my wife's computer and trying to install windows 8 Pro and I ran into same thing how did you get around it? did you have to call Microsoft? or did you go to the site dodger46 gave you? if so do you install that link on the other computer or straight to a thumb drive or cd?? please help anyone thanks.

- oem keys are activated via the oem activation server(generally these OEM activation servers will be on a private network that you will not have internet access to. They get charged for each activation).

- The retail key requires a internet connection that is activated. It kind of sounds like your internet connection is not working. I would start by confirming that the internet connection is working.

If the internet is working and you have a retail key you can call microsoft and they will figure out the error.
otherwise, you have to look at the error logs and run the various license utilities to figure out what is going on. (microsoft utility is slui.exe)

I guess common errors with correctly working internet would be firewall or AV software blocking activation to the servers. Common for pirate versions of windows to have a hack to block activation also but that is another issue