[SOLVED] We have two PCs on wired internet. The new gaming pc has 650ms+ ping. How?

Jan 5, 2023
As the title states, I'm experiencing extreme intermittent latency when connecting to games on my wife's new gaming PC.

The network demand is low as the pc is the only meaningful draw on it. This issue has been going on for several days. I have isolated my wife's new PC as the culprit, as unplugging her ethernet removes the issue. We also hooked up her old PC again and could not replicate the problem. So that rules out the ISP and router/modem.

Discord and in game data are tools used to collect ping data.

Network adaptors have been updated as well. I'm at a loss of what to do next. We're on win11.

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: Microsoft Onedrive had an unrequested 10gb upload running in the background that did not display in windows task manager network activity. wtf.

Last edited:
Solution
It is not a hardware error it would not affect other machines. It also is not likely not even a duplicate IP issue because it should affect your ability to ping the router.

You can see the IP addresses assigned to the machines with the IPCONFIG /all command. I guess the key things to check is that the IP is not the same as the other pc and it is not set to be the router IP.

So if you just boot her machine and log in but do not launch anything does that immediately affect your machine or is only after some program is started.

Microsoft Onedrive had an unrequested 10gb upload running in the background that did not display in windows task manager network activity. WTF. Solved. thx for your help tho.
Jan 5, 2023
Are you saying if you unplug her pc it fixes the other pc ?

What do you see for ping times if you use a simple ping command to the router IP.

I experience high ping along with her when she is connected via ethernet. As soon as her ethernet is unplugged it corrects the issue. I pinged the modem @ 192.168.0.1 and got a 1ms reply.

Did you ping the router at the same time you were having the problem.

If that is true then the problem is not her machine directly affecting you. Check to see that both your machine and her machine are not using the same IP address on the ethernet.

After this you start to suspect some kind of traffic issue that is over using your internet connection. You might be able to see the traffic in the network tab of the resource monitor on her machine.

Maybe also use a actual ping command to test this. Leave a constant ping run to some common ip link 8.8.8.8

Jan 5, 2023
Did you ping the router at the same time you were having the problem.

Yes

Check to see that both your machine and her machine are not using the same IP address on the ethernet.

How would I find that info? You may be on to something with that. How does her new PC have the issue but plugging in the old one doesn't?

You might be able to see the traffic in the network tab of the resource monitor on her machine.

I've looked at that data and saw no abnormalities that would produce that kind of ping.

I've reinstalled windows and got the same problem.

My next step is a new PCIE network card. I really don't want to have to return her PC but the return window is quickly closing.

It is not a hardware error it would not affect other machines. It also is not likely not even a duplicate IP issue because it should affect your ability to ping the router.

You can see the IP addresses assigned to the machines with the IPCONFIG /all command. I guess the key things to check is that the IP is not the same as the other pc and it is not set to be the router IP.

So if you just boot her machine and log in but do not launch anything does that immediately affect your machine or is only after some program is started.

Jan 5, 2023

As soon as it boots to windows. It did it on a fresh windows install. Something else of note. The pc worked fine for 3 weeks and this issue appeared suddenly. No network changes were made.

Jan 5, 2023

Microsoft Onedrive had an unrequested 10gb upload running in the background that did not display in windows task manager network activity. WTF. Solved. thx for your help tho.

Last edited:
Solution