News We Tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider XeSS on Multiple GPUs

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Madness.. they should just all agree on a open source standard. The way things are we may In a while open the graphics settings and have dozens of these XGD DlLs ExS FPa weird nomenclatures crawling at us. I vote for a open source world, mind you with one single console that can run Mario, sonic, master chief, crash, etc. I mean seriously, how did we get here? These bitches better team up and give us ray traced Zelda

Reactions: King_V
Madness.. they should just all agree on a open source standard. The way things are we may In a while open the graphics settings and have dozens of these XGD DlLs ExS FPa weird nomenclatures crawling at us. I vote for a open source world, mind you with one single console that can run Mario, sonic, master chief, crash, etc. I mean seriously, how did we get here? These bitches better team up and give us ray traced Zelda

That comic is the first thing that popped into my head as well.

Microsoft will end the bickering as usual by putting upscaling in the directX package.
I would like to see this happen. I don't think Nvidia will give up on DLSS promotion any time soon, but if we got a Microsoft DirectX Upscaling API that would:

1. Use Nvidia Tensor cores
  2. Use Intel XMX cores
  3. Support any future AMD tensor alternative
  4. Fall back to shader-based upscaling (FSR2.1?) otherwise

That would be pretty darn sweet. And it could even use the API on the Xbox consoles.

there are times open source standard is the good solution and there are times it end up being a bad one. the good one? like what happen with VRR. the bad one: look what happen with OpenGL and OpenCL. then we also have things that happen with multi GPU support. it is supported natively on DX12. some people expect by making the feature being a standard inside major 3D API like direct x it will expand multi gpu tech development and adoption further where SLI and CF cannot reach before. in the end game developer just "haha" us about it. for AI upscaling like DLSS and XeSS if MS release a standard that can be used by every hardware vendor i can already see some of the hurdle it will going to face.

You know what would be cool? If someone could figure out a way to hack DLSS to make the Nvidia Tensor core calculations run on Intel's XMX cores — or use the GPU's FP16 capability if neither Tensor or XMX is available. I suspect the latter would be more difficult and would run terribly slow, but on a theoretical level, hacking the DLL to make it use XMX should be possible. Just imagine how angry that would make Nvidia!