Weapon question

Hi guys

For quite some time I have been using the 'Giant war axe of the tiger'
(www.thottbot.com/?i=13331) which does 91-137 damage and has +13 agi,
+13 str. With two-handed axe skill 229 I regularly do 110-120 damage
and hardly ever miss.

I have now gotten the 'Diviner long staff of the monkey'
(www.thottbot.com/?i=14109) which does 84-126, +15 agi, +15 sta. As I only
had staff skill 1 I levelled it up to 221 within the space of 2-3 hours.
Occasionally I hit for 110 damage, but typically I get 7, 16, maybe 24 but
even more likely I miss. And this has been the same since ca. skill 180.

I am I doing something wrong? I thought if I brought up my weapon skills
to roughly the same level I would be fine to be about as succesful with
both of them...

Cheers
/urbin

--
Urbin (48), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:02:17 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu>
wrote:

>For quite some time I have been using the 'Giant war axe of the tiger'
>(www.thottbot.com/?i=13331) which does 91-137 damage and has +13 agi,
>+13 str. With two-handed axe skill 229 I regularly do 110-120 damage
>and hardly ever miss.
>
>I have now gotten the 'Diviner long staff of the monkey'
>(www.thottbot.com/?i=14109) which does 84-126, +15 agi, +15 sta. As I only
>had staff skill 1 I levelled it up to 221 within the space of 2-3 hours.
>Occasionally I hit for 110 damage, but typically I get 7, 16, maybe 24 but
>even more likely I miss. And this has been the same since ca. skill 180.
>
>I am I doing something wrong? I thought if I brought up my weapon skills
>to roughly the same level I would be fine to be about as succesful with
>both of them...

>Urbin (48), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

At level 48 your max skill should be 240 - IMO you should start
hitting reliably and for good damage at around max-10 (so ~230). Go
level your skill some more and see if the damage doesn't improve.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Urbin wrote:
> A follow up question:
> - if I can't get my staff to hit reliably in the future I might want to
> wield it while I shoot at mobs and switch to the axe for melee fighting
> is there an addon that lets me switch my melee weapon at the click of
> a mouse - or can this even be solved using a macro?

Just drag the weapon OUT OF UR BAGS (not ur profile window) and drop it
to a Bar-Button... if u click this button u switch to this weapon.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:02:17 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> For quite some time I have been using the 'Giant war axe of the tiger'
> (www.thottbot.com/?i=13331) which does 91-137 damage and has +13 agi,
> +13 str. With two-handed axe skill 229 I regularly do 110-120 damage
> and hardly ever miss.
>
> I have now gotten the 'Diviner long staff of the monkey'
> (www.thottbot.com/?i=14109) which does 84-126, +15 agi, +15 sta. As I only
> had staff skill 1 I levelled it up to 221 within the space of 2-3 hours.
> Occasionally I hit for 110 damage, but typically I get 7, 16, maybe 24 but
> even more likely I miss. And this has been the same since ca. skill 180.
>
> I am I doing something wrong? I thought if I brought up my weapon skills
> to roughly the same level I would be fine to be about as succesful with
> both of them...

Thanks for all the various answers. As I am lvl48 I have been concentrating
on mobs between lvl46-lvl49 (having my pet really helps to stay alive :).

Summarising
- if - as Simon says - I start having real chances around max-10 I seem to
have been just around that (229) with the axe but still clearly below
it with the staff (221) - I'll see if boosting it 8-10 skill points more
will help

- as I'm a hunter I get double benefits from agility and have therefore
been concentrating on that (distance weapons are my main damage dealers)
and probably neglected the +15 strength boost the axe gives me

- I'll go whack some lvl44 to see if I have a better chance to hit them as
my 221 skill points seem to be roughly at their level

A follow up question:
- if I can't get my staff to hit reliably in the future I might want to
wield it while I shoot at mobs and switch to the axe for melee fighting
is there an addon that lets me switch my melee weapon at the click of
a mouse - or can this even be solved using a macro?

Thanks again
/urbin

--

Urbin wrote:
> I have now gotten the 'Diviner long staff of the monkey'
> (www.thottbot.com/?i=14109) which does 84-126, +15 agi, +15 sta. As I only
> had staff skill 1 I levelled it up to 221 within the space of 2-3 hours.
> Occasionally I hit for 110 damage, but typically I get 7, 16, maybe 24 but
> even more likely I miss. And this has been the same since ca. skill 180.
>
> I am I doing something wrong? I thought if I brought up my weapon skills
> to roughly the same level I would be fine to be about as succesful with
> both of them...

What level monsters are you fighting? With 221 skill you're swinging
about as well as a level 44 character.. if you target is more than a few
levels about that, you'll find it very hard to land a solid blow (say,
mobs of level 49+).

Cheers!
David...

On 23 Aug 2005 03:21:00 -0700, Max <maxnews01@web.de> wrote:
> Urbin wrote:
> > A follow up question:
> > - if I can't get my staff to hit reliably in the future I might want to
> > wield it while I shoot at mobs and switch to the axe for melee fighting
> > is there an addon that lets me switch my melee weapon at the click of
> > a mouse - or can this even be solved using a macro?
>
> Just drag the weapon OUT OF UR BAGS (not ur profile window) and drop it
> to a Bar-Button... if u click this button u switch to this weapon.

Works like a charm with the exception that I have to use two buttons, one
for each weapon. What I would really like is to have one button to toggle
between the two. Can that be done using a macro or do I need an addon? If
so, are there addons doing that?

Cheers
/urs

--
Urbin (49), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:13:04 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> > [snipping my original post describing damage discrepancy between two
> > similar weapons at similar skill]
>
> Summarising
> - if - as Simon says - I start having real chances around max-10 I seem to
> have been just around that (229) with the axe but still clearly below
> it with the staff (221) - I'll see if boosting it 8-10 skill points more
> will help
>
> - I'll go whack some lvl44 to see if I have a better chance to hit them as
> my 221 skill points seem to be roughly at their level

All right, I did some testing last night. First of all, I now have my staff
and axe skills up to 231 each (just hit lvl49, so I'm some below my possible
max). I now consistently get 90-110 damage using the staff and 100-120
damage using the axe on mobs within +3/-5 levels of my own. This is roughly
what I would have expected from the weapon specs and I am quite happy.

As it turns out, my main problem was somewhere completely different. As both
weapons are two handed and therefore relatively slow, the 'attack' button
stays red for quite some time before the next blow is delivered on auto hit.

Now, me being impatient while grinding, kept right-clicking the mobs in
between - despite being aware that this would not help hitting faster but
just out of the need to do something :)

As it turns out, I seem to have been getting additional hits on the mob
using this method. However, not with my axe/staff but 'unarmed' - where my
skill is <30. This explains the frequent misses I guess. I only got onto
this when I saw the message 'your unarmed skill has increased to 27'.

Is this normal behaviour or a bug? I am not sure whether auto attack then
switches back to the axe/staff when they are ready. Despite the fact that my
weapon stayed equipped in the 'c' screen, the attack icon on my tool bar
changed to the 'unarmed' attack icon and the stats seem to support the
theory that it *does* stay in unarmed.

Well, all in all, not tragic as I am now fine but still a bit irritating.

Cheers
Urbin

--

Urbin wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:13:04 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
>
> > > [snipping my original post describing damage discrepancy between two
> > > similar weapons at similar skill]
> >
> > Summarising
> > - if - as Simon says - I start having real chances around max-10 I seem to
> > have been just around that (229) with the axe but still clearly below
> > it with the staff (221) - I'll see if boosting it 8-10 skill points more
> > will help
> >
> > - I'll go whack some lvl44 to see if I have a better chance to hit them as
> > my 221 skill points seem to be roughly at their level
> >

> All right, I did some testing last night. First of all, I now have my staff
> and axe skills up to 231 each (just hit lvl49, so I'm some below my possible
> max). I now consistently get 90-110 damage using the staff and 100-120
> damage using the axe on mobs within +3/-5 levels of my own. This is roughly
> what I would have expected from the weapon specs and I am quite happy.

Very interesting. You're actually posting the results of your
experimenting. Normally on usenet or forums, whenever someone says
they will try something out and report back then that is the last you
ever hear from them. Nobody bothers following through.

> As it turns out, my main problem was somewhere completely different. As both
> weapons are two handed and therefore relatively slow, the 'attack' button
> stays red for quite some time before the next blow is delivered on auto hit.
>
> Now, me being impatient while grinding, kept right-clicking the mobs in
> between - despite being aware that this would not help hitting faster but
> just out of the need to do something :)
>
> As it turns out, I seem to have been getting additional hits on the mob
> using this method. However, not with my axe/staff but 'unarmed' - where my
> skill is <30. This explains the frequent misses I guess. I only got onto
> this when I saw the message 'your unarmed skill has increased to 27'.
>
> Is this normal behaviour or a bug? I am not sure whether auto attack then
> switches back to the axe/staff when they are ready. Despite the fact that my
> weapon stayed equipped in the 'c' screen, the attack icon on my tool bar
> changed to the 'unarmed' attack icon and the stats seem to support the
> theory that it *does* stay in unarmed.
>
> Well, all in all, not tragic as I am now fine but still a bit irritating.
>
> Cheers
> Urbin

Given that you have a 49th level character, it seems unlikely this
could be the case, but what you describe sounds like you're fighting a
mob that disarms. Are you sure you weren't just disarmed and didn't
realize it?

Urbin wrote:
> Works like a charm with the exception that I have to use two buttons, one
> for each weapon. What I would really like is to have one button to toggle
> between the two. Can that be done using a macro or do I need an addon? If
> so, are there addons doing that?

Sounds like WeaponQuickSwap is exactly what you need.

Additionally, StanceSets (although being really designed for warriors,
rogues and druids to auto-equip different weapons in different stances)
is a handy layer on top of this which will allow you to configure your
weapon sets using a GUI, and bind a hotkey to switch between them. If
you just use WeaponQuickSwap by itself, you'll need to write some macro
code to call it (it just adds some functions for your macros to use).

WeaponQuickSwap - http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=110

StanceSets - http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=151

Cheers!
David...

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:36:11 +1000, David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
> Urbin wrote:
> > Works like a charm with the exception that I have to use two buttons, one
> > for each weapon. What I would really like is to have one button to toggle
> > between the two. Can that be done using a macro or do I need an addon? If
> > so, are there addons doing that?
>
> Sounds like WeaponQuickSwap is exactly what you need.

it does indeed. thanks for your hint

> Additionally, StanceSets (although being really designed for warriors,
> rogues and druids to auto-equip different weapons in different stances)

that may be slight overkill for my lowlye hunter :)

Urbin

--

Urbin wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2005 12:23:22 -0700, patrick.barnes@standardregister.com <patrick.barnes@standardregister.com> wrote:
> >
> > Urbin wrote:
> > >
> > > All right, I did some testing last night. [snipped test results]
> >
> > Very interesting. You're actually posting the results of your
> > experimenting. Normally on usenet or forums, whenever someone says
> > they will try something out and report back then that is the last you
> > ever hear from them. Nobody bothers following through.
>
> :)
>
> > > Now, me being impatient while grinding, kept right-clicking the mobs in
> > > between [snip]
> > >
> > > As it turns out, I seem to have been getting additional hits on the mob
> > > using this method. However, not with my axe/staff but 'unarmed' [snip]
> > >
> > > Is this normal behaviour or a bug? [snip] Despite the fact that my
> > > weapon stayed equipped in the 'c' screen, the attack icon on my tool bar
> > > changed to the 'unarmed' attack icon and the stats seem to support the
> > > theory that it *does* stay in unarmed.
> >
> > Given that you have a 49th level character, it seems unlikely this
> > could be the case, but what you describe sounds like you're fighting a
> > mob that disarms. Are you sure you weren't just disarmed and didn't
> > realize it?
>
> The wolves and funny owl-monsters in the hinterlands? How can I find out if
> they disarm?

It'll tell you in your combat log. Also, your hands usually have a red
cloud
around them. I'm not sure if that is what is happening to you though.
What I
find when that happens, and should be happening to you with a skill of
30ish,
is that you'll get a number of unarmed skillups one after the other as
you'll
be unarmed for a number of combat rounds and you should get an increase
after
almost every swing.

steve.kaye

Urbin wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2005 02:05:43 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Urbin wrote:

> > > The wolves and funny owl-monsters in the hinterlands? How can I find out if
> > > they disarm?
> >
> > It'll tell you in your combat log. Also, your hands usually have a red
> > cloud around them. I'm not sure if that is what is happening to you
> > though.
>
> Didn't notice any red clouds but of course and I did occasionally check the
> combat log and can't recall seeing anything.
>
> > What I find when that happens, and should be happening to you with a
> > skill of 30ish, is that you'll get a number of unarmed skillups one after
> > the other as you'll be unarmed for a number of combat rounds and you
> > should get an increase after almost every swing.
>
> This definitely didn't happen. I got the unarmed skillups with about the
> freuqency I expected the staff skillups.
>
> Oh well, as I now know better than to impatiently right-click while waiting
> for my weapon to hit it isn't really an issue any longer.

Or, if you train unarmed up to the same level as your other weapons
skills you could be getting a bit more DPS from the free extra attacks.
:)

steve.kaye

Thanks for your input
Cheers