Question web banking registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Hello everyone.

Please, I would like your opinion to the following. I will give to the whole scenario just fantastic values to make it easier for understanding.

Suppose Michael has a Google account : michael@gmail.com
He has not given (so not connected) any mobile phone number to Google for specific account. Also, no value on this account is true. Everything is fake, like name, sure name, date of birth, city living, etc. All fake. He has this account just for mail sending/receiving , but does not want to give Google any personal element. This is the first part of story

Now.. Suppose Michael has a bank account to bank "STORY Bank". Michael, wants to have access to his banking account through web. So, he has to make web banking registration. He must make the registration process, in order to get the web banking username & password loging values. In order to do that, the bank has created an Android (and same Apple for Apple mobile phones) application, which Michael has to install to his Android mobile phone, in order to complete the web banking registration process. This application, is put by "STORY Bank" to Play Store (or App Store respectively), for this purpose. The only way Michael to install the application to his mobile phone is via Play store. The bank has no other way for this installation. This is the second part of scenario.

So, my question, on which I would like your opinion, is: Michael believes that, because the installation of the application will be made via Play Store, and the bank application will have true elements of Michael (like his mobile phone number, name, address,, etc), then Google will have also access to his true elements/values.

In order to say it in simple words (and not want to be rude), in just simple words, something like Google will "hack" the "STORY Bank's" application, and finally will learn Michael true elements.

You opinion would be precious.

Thank you for your time!!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone.

Please, I would like your opinion to the following. I will give to the whole scenario just fantastic values to make it easier for understanding.

He has not given (so not connected) any mobile phone number to Google for specific account. Also, no value on this account is true. Everything is fake, like name, sure name, date of birth, city living, etc. All fake. He has this account just for mail sending/receiving , but does not want to give Google any personal element. This is the first part of story

Now.. Suppose Michael has a bank account to bank "STORY Bank". Michael, wants to have access to his banking account through web. So, he has to make web banking registration. He must make the registration process, in order to get the web banking username & password loging values. In order to do that, the bank has created an Android (and same Apple for Apple mobile phones) application, which Michael has to install to his Android mobile phone, in order to complete the web banking registration process. This application, is put by "STORY Bank" to Play Store (or App Store respectively), for this purpose. The only way Michael to install the application to his mobile phone is via Play store. The bank has no other way for this installation. This is the second part of scenario.

So, my question, on which I would like your opinion, is: Michael believes that, because the installation of the application will be made via Play Store, and the bank application will have true elements of Michael (like his mobile phone number, name, address,, etc), then Google will have also access to his true elements/values.

In order to say it in simple words (and not want to be rude), in just simple words, something like Google will "hack" the "STORY Bank's" application, and finally will learn Michael true elements.

Google already had his "true" info during the setup of the phone. Thst would be before the banking app.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for quick answer. Because I didn't understand so well your reply, could you explain it a little more?
"Michael" might agree to the banking app terms of use, since he has no choice if he wants to use it. And those terms of use may state that the bank SHARES information with their partners. Their partners could include Google. So Google could get real information not via hacking but via an agreed-to sharing of customer data. Is "Michael" savvy enough to opt-out of all sharing? Unknown. Typically the businesses make it difficult to opt-out.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
The registration, during the initial setup of the phone, provides Google with the "real" phone number. So even if the fictional Google account is used some real info is available.

I will disagree with you on that. If during phone registration, Google gets Michael's TRUE mobile phone number, and not a blank phone number field on Michael's account settings, then why if something goes wrong with Michael's account, and Google blocks it for safety, why account cannot be unlocked since Google cannot send to no phone number any unlocking data?

USAFRet

Titan
I will disagree with you on that. If during phone registration, Google gets Michael's TRUE mobile phone number, and not a blank phone number field on Michael's account settings, then why if something goes wrong with Michael's account, and Google blocks it for safety, why account cannot be unlocked since Google cannot send to no phone number any unlocking data?
IF he provided fake info to google, then he is out of luck with google.

But somewhere, some entity knows that phone number.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You're assuming every entity at Google will have access to everything any other entity at Google does. Large companies are not that vertical.

Since we're talking theoreticals here, the best solution for Michael is to either use some of the Story Bank funds to seek treatment for his issues with paranoia or Michael to withdraw all his funds and store all his money in the form of gold coins in his sock drawer. Just as with anything else, the benefits of things like modern banking come with additional costs, and you can't get the benefit if you don't pay the cost.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello everyone.

If I may ask...aside from the academic discussion, is there another purpose to these questions?

The short answer is NO. Google will not hack anything or anyone. If "Michael" is doing something he should not be doing, Google is the least of his worries.

Ralston18

Titan
Goes beyond just phone numbers now.....

Eventually, if not already, the various databases will flag some discrepancies between True, Fictional, and/or some other mismatch. As a result that flag will bring everything to a halt pending resolution.

Google finds "X" for some parameter, the bank finds "Y" for the same parameter, and Third Party (involved for whatever reason) finds "Z".

Vetting or whatever stops.

= == =

I try to provide only the landline number (necessary here) and withhold my mobile number.

Fewer and fewer websites are allowing that. Both numbers are required to complete whatever transaction is involved.

And not uncommon to see some "mismatch" being identified: Area code not matching Zip code sort of stuff.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
If I may ask...aside from the academic discussion, is there another purpose to these questions?

The short answer is NO. Google will not hack anything or anyone.

Aside from the academic discussion, my answer is YES.

The verb "hack" is obviously wrong to the thread. It is just used here to help understand the story. Google does not "hack". What I want to say is that Michael, by installing application from Play store, MAYBE will give Google someway his phone number.

Anyway, this specific bank is responsible for not having another way for its customers to be able to get username+password.

Another way could be a wizard on the BANK'S WEB PAGE. Bank, as Michael is its customer, has Michael's cell phone number and e-mail address. So, I guess through a wizard on its web page, and by safely confirmation on cell number or/and email address, could make a perfect and SAFE job, give Michael username and password, and leave third party companies (as Google) aside, since they are not needed for specific job.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This thread has more than run its course. If "Michael" is a real person with a real problem, then let Michael post an actual thread with the actual problem rather than jumping through these theoretical hoops. If Michael isn't a real person with a real problem, then this thread is just generic conspiracy theory/black helicopter stuff, which is appropriate content for someone's personal blog, not a thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS