Web Browser Grand Prix 3: IE9 Enters The Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Nice comparison Adam. I think people don't give MS credit for IE9 because of their history with web standards and lack of competition with updating their browser since they destroyed Netscape so many years ago. Hopefully they have their head in the game and continue with a somewhat constant update cycle. Currently the transition from IE8 to IE9 was somewhat FireFox'ish with speed instead of waiting for another revision of the OS. The browser definitely surprised me, some quirks here and there that are definitely noticeable and the Chrome/FF influence is obviously present. I wish them luck as the competition heats up.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
i felt the speed once i switched from firefox to chrome and now chrome to IE..
but there is no mention of any addon/extentions for IE..
i mean there is no comparision on who's got nice addons and startup time "with" addons.. since users tend to use web browsers with addons knowingly or un-knowingly..
it would be better if you include those two comparisions as well.. and who takes advantage of GPU and all..

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
[citation][nom]winner4455[/nom]Won't take that long for IE to lag behind.[/citation]
lol
maybe not!!
and FFS why doesnt that "submit my comment" button not working in IE!! I am using chrome for that ;(

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
The 40 Tabs chart is wrong for Efficiency Benchmarks: Memory Usage And Management it shows flash vector charting.

[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]I wonder how much microsoft paid tomshardware not to include Firefox 4 RC1[/citation]
Then they would have to include every random nightly build of every browser? Comparing the latest release is fair you'll always get one browser or two that is near a new stable version but that's just how it works.

[citation][nom]winner4455[/nom]Won't take that long for IE to lag behind.[/citation]
depends in Microsoft moves up an update schedule that doesn't just include making the browser more secure and fixing bugs. IE8 was pretty snappy back when it was first out it got old in like 3 months compared to other browsers though.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]I wonder how much microsoft paid tomshardware not to include Firefox 4 RC1[/citation]
We only test final products in the WBGP.
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]Will there be a " Web Browser Grand Prix 4: Firefox 4 Enters The Race " after Firefox 4's release (22 Mar)?[/citation]
[citation][nom]turboflame[/nom]I like how this article was released one day before Firefox 4 is released.[/citation]
Where are ya'll getting a set date from?
[citation][nom]illuminatuz[/nom]i felt the speed once i switched from firefox to chrome and now chrome to IE..but there is no mention of any addon/extentions for IE.. i mean there is no comparision on who's got nice addons and startup time "with" addons.. since users tend to use web browsers with addons knowingly or un-knowingly..it would be better if you include those two comparisions as well.. and who takes advantage of GPU and all..[/citation]
We add/modify tests every time with the WBGP. We're already looking into those suggestions.
[citation][nom]Scanlia[/nom]Is there a wrong picture on the efficiency page? The 40tabs graph comes up as GUIMark 2?[/citation]
Doh! Fixing that now.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Wait a second. Did they really include Safari? Who uses Safari for Windows?
(I'm assuming they tested the Windows version of Safari, because why would you compare browsers for different systems?)

I'm sticking with Opera on my Windows machine and Safari on my Mac.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
To be honest I did not read this article, because you're using the "latest and greatest" browsers, but somehow jumped a day early and didn't wait for FF4. Maybe you mentioned it in the article, but if not, then was it really so bad to wait an additional 1-2 days to do this?

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]Where are ya'll getting a set date from?[/citation]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/16/mozilla_ship_firefox_4_22_march/

Although most websites link to this website, so perhaps it was nothing more than a rumor.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Opera sucks balls in memory management and lacks handy add-on such as Tab Mix Plus (which is same for Chrome). I would definitely move to Opera if it has these 2 issues fixed.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]http://groups.google.com/group/moz [...] 9e9650b1b3[/citation]
On the 16th he said RC1 would become the final code on the 22nd, but they released an RC2 since. I don't believe them anymore. Where is an official announcement or press release? RC1 was supposed to be here in November 2010. WBGP3 was going to feature FF4 at the end of 2010, then again at the end of this Feb. IE9 gave a date, so WBGP3 was made to coincide with its release. IF Firefox 4 launches tomorrow, it's purely coincidental. We stopped holding the WBGP series up for FF4 when MS officially gave their IE9 release date.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

There IS. It was released on 18 Mar.

Here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0/releasenotes/

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

That's fine. However, please make sure to include Firefox 4 when it is released. Thanks.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
This article is clearly biased. If the comparison had waited 9 months, another week of waiting for the last browser to be updated wouldn't have hurt - it'd have been expected by everybody (as clearly seen in many of the comments so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.