[SOLVED] Web Browser(s) flickering when game/program with borderless windowed is open.

Snip3o

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
So this has been happening since I got my new PC built (Ryzen 5 5600X & Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC) and has finally got on my nerves. Basically whenever I have a game opened with borderless windowed enabled (doesn't happen with fullscreen) I will get flickering on any type of web browser (Edge, Firefox and Chrome) every few seconds, it is sort of random, but usually happens with inputs. Non-surprisingly disabling hardware acceleration in the browser 'fixes' the issue, but I'm not taking that as a fix since it's quite an important feature for websites like Twitch. I've had no problems or any sorts in the games themselves (no artifacts, flickering etc) so I really don't think it's the GPU itself. I found a reddit thread with what looks to be the same issue so I don't think I am alone.

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds kind of similar to the use I had with my Radeon HD5770 where secondary monitors were glitching/flickering whenever a game was open at the same time as any form of media player using a video overlay output. In my case, that appeared to be caused by the video decoding getting the GPU stuck at default 2D clocks causing the secondary monitors to not get their refresh data fast enough. That was one of the reasons I ditched it for a GTX1050 and I haven't had that issue reappear since.

I'd start with keeping an eye on GPU clocks with HWInfo or some other similar tool while the glitches are happening to see if your issue may be related to similar clock weirdness.

Snip3o

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Sounds kind of similar to the use I had with my Radeon HD5770 where secondary monitors were glitching/flickering whenever a game was open at the same time as any form of media player using a video overlay output. In my case, that appeared to be caused by the video decoding getting the GPU stuck at default 2D clocks causing the secondary monitors to not get their refresh data fast enough. That was one of the reasons I ditched it for a GTX1050 and I haven't had that issue reappear since.

I'd start with keeping an eye on GPU clocks with HWInfo or some other similar tool while the glitches are happening to see if your issue may be related to similar clock weirdness.
Sounds like a good start, what exactly would I be looking for with the clock changes?

Snip3o

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
I'm not really noticing anything out of the ordinary with the clocks, but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for:
ugYT5yP.png
for.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm not really noticing anything out of the ordinary with the clocks, but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for
The image you posted is CPU stats. You need to be looking at GPU stats at the exact moments surrounding display glitches to see anomalies as they happen. Best ways to do that would be to open your game, browser and everything you usually have running when the issue happens, then reset min/max to spot excessive changes.

On my HD5770, the problem was that at least one of the GPU clocks was stuck at something like 200MHz whenever I had both a 3D game and video player open at the same time.

Snip3o

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
The image you posted is CPU stats. You need to be looking at GPU stats at the exact moments surrounding display glitches to see anomalies as they happen. Best ways to do that would be to open your game, browser and everything you usually have running when the issue happens, then reset min/max to spot excessive changes.

On my HD5770, the problem was that at least one of the GPU clocks was stuck at something like 200MHz whenever I had both a 3D game and video player open at the same time.
Sorry about that, I'm dumb :tonguewink:. The clocks look fine to me with none below 1000MHz and staying there (not fluctuating):
rB4uHXl.png