mhajicek

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
I need to get a camera to monitor a manufacturing machine at work, so I can know from home or elsewhere when it stops and I need to go fix it. I'd like to be able to check it on my Android phone. Every web cam app I can find wants permission for device and app history. Does it really need that? Are there and decent web / ip cams that work out of the box (don't have time for a DIY project) and don't need outrageous permissions? Thanks!

mhajicek

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
lots and lots of them.
Hive for example
out of the box and works
https://www.hivehome.com/products/hive-camera

Ok, I just looked at the Hive app, and it requires these permissions, some of which I don't like and don't think it should need:

This app has access to:
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Contacts
  • read your contacts
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
Microphone
  • record audio
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • full network access
  • change your audio settings
  • run at startup
  • draw over other apps
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • Google Play license check
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change network connectivity
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • full network access
  • change your audio settings
  • run at startup
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping

kanewolf

Titan
I use IP Cam Viewer Pro on Android. It works with almost any camera. Axis and Panasonic cameras are good because they have the webserver built-into the camera. No cloud access required. A single port forward on the router to get to the camera.
In a machine environment, does this camera need to be dirt/dust sealed? Maybe an outdoor rated camera would be required.

mhajicek

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
I use IP Cam Viewer Pro on Android. It works with almost any camera. Axis and Panasonic cameras are good because they have the webserver built-into the camera. No cloud access required. A single port forward on the router to get to the camera.
In a machine environment, does this camera need to be dirt/dust sealed? Maybe an outdoor rated camera would be required.

That looks like heading down the right path. I'll have to ask my IT guy about port forwarding. The camera will be indoors and outside the machine enclosure, so I don't think contamination will be an issue.

Thanks

Unfortunately that's the price one pays for cheap/free apps these days... they follow the FB model, hey giving it to you for near nothing, but we wanna know everything about your life, you environment, your whereabouts, so we can make money selling big data.