Question Web cam does not work the second time around

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
My Microsoft web cam worked just fine with Win 7. After a crash, I had to completely reinstall Win 7 again, but this time i get a message that it cannot install it. I used the same win 7 disk with its drivers. Why wouldn't it work now?

Ralston18

Titan
What was the nature/cause of the original crash?

What was the actual wording of the message? Any error codes for example.

When did the message appear: e.g., when you tried to install the webcam drivers? Or when you attempted to use the webcam?

Another thought is that the webcam drivers were upgraded along the way and the original drivers on the Win 7 disk are now defunct.

Are you able to test the webcam on another known working computer?

Or test another known working webcam on your computer?

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the webcam and/or its' drivers.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
What was the nature/cause of the original crash?

What was the actual wording of the message? Any error codes for example.>>>
Installation of win 10.

When did the message appear: e.g., when you tried to install the webcam drivers? Or when you attempted to use the webcam? >>> After inserting the LifeCam disc and clicked on setup, I got the following message: "The webCam is blocked due to compatibility issues. Check for online solutions. I did and nothing showed up.

Another thought is that the webcam drivers were upgraded along the way and the original drivers on the Win 7 disk are now defunct.>>> When I reused the Win 7 disc and updated the drivers that were on that disc, I did not have the WebCam attached.

Are you able to test the webcam on another known working computer? >>>The only other pc i have is a notebook that only has Win 10;

Or test another known working webcam on your computer? >>> Don't have an extra cam.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the webcam and/or its' drivers.>>> ?????

Ralston18

Titan
Found this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/firmware-drivers-and-software-for-microsoft-lifecam-cameras-4de0695c-8b9c-8666-24a8-ecd3d7a5d79b

Undated and not directly helpful. However.....

ln Device Manager is the LifeCam camera shown in the device list? Under View be sure to check "Show hidden devices".

Or open PowerShell as Admin and run the "Get-PnPDevice" cmdlet.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/pnpdevice/get-pnpdevice?view=windowsserver2019-ps

Check the resulting output to determine if the camera listed.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise "sfc /scannow" and "dism" may find and fix something.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Could be that the attempt to install the old Windows 7 drivers corrupted something or otherwise caused a configuration conflict.