Web Site Being Blocked Out Of Nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornonthecob50

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hello. I own my own PC. I got it as a gift in June, 2 months ago. Ever since I first unpacked it (brand new) I have not been able to get on certain sites due to an inexplicable message popping up out of nowhere.

I will often visit Steam or other sites for downloading games, and it gets blocked. I also visit news sites (Chicago Sun-times, Chicago Tribune) and BOTH are blocked. I haven't tried any other news outlets however. The message it gives me reads:

This website is not allowed (red exclamation mark before the sentence)

Parental control is blocking the content of this website from viewing.

I have no idea what happened or how to get rid of it. My laptop came with anti-virus (McAfee) but I did not renew, and actually uninstalled it. I have checked my PC for any anti-virus and the ones that were built in (windows anti-virus) are simply disabled.

This laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 110 if that helps.

I am the administrator and there are no other accounts on the PC.

I am using Windows 10.

this is what it looks like
http://imgur.com/GSy4BnJ
(btw someone else's screenshot)

Thank you all for any help!

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah it is Parental control option.
It is in no connection with Antivirus - McAfee.

"1. Go to the Control Panel from the Windows Start menu.
2. Click User Accounts.
3. Click Parental Controls.
4. Click on your account photo.
5. Choose Parental control off"

Directly from Windows Forums.
Hope this helps you out, if not, reply here :)

either your firewall or router has parental control settings enabled, or your browser does...

If more than 1 browser (Chrome and Edge) can't get to a given website, then the restriction is/was done either within a firewall within your PC, or, within your router....at some time in the past.

If the restrictions are only on that PC within your home, then your restriction is there within only that PC...

Look for PC Nanny, or some such sort of firewall to give access, possibly only granting access to certain websites on an 'approved' list.

Unfortunately, I can't identify which specific culprit is blocking access from that screenshot you provided....

cornonthecob50

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

I am not sure if I said it, but it is Windows 10.
I actually went to Control Panel, and then went to User Accounts. But unfortunately I was unable to find "Parental controls"
I will try to take a screenshot to show you.

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
This is how to enter those options actually:
If you have Windows Defender Security Center icon in right down corner, go there and double click on it.
Then, when it opens, last icon on the left edge of the monitor would be parental contol, try to navigate to it.
(You can go on Family controls icon aswell)

That's it, I have them turned off so I can't tell you exactly what to do there but there are they.
Good luck!

cornonthecob50

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Unfortunately, none of these options have been fixers. The problems still persist when I attempt a search on Steam, along with the inability to view websites that display news. I am seriously at a loss here.

My account is the only one on the PC as well as being the administrator. Sometimes, websites block temporarily and I can "get in" after refreshing about 2-3 times. Other times, it seems to be permanent and no matter what, the website will not show. Occasionally, the website in question will load as if I got through but will then revert to a "Windows can't reach this website right now" with useless troubleshoots.
Please, I'm at the end of my rope. This is seriously impeding any thing I do on this PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.