Question Webcam incapable of close focus

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 on desktop Win 11

I am frequently required to post a selfie whilst holding a document for security checking. This is impossible with the Lifecam as to be in focus the document has to be too far away to be read! There appear to be no controls available. Any options please?

Ralston18

Titan
You do not necessary need a webcam. Or a Microsoft camera.

Likely most security cameras should work if the camera has zoom features that you can control and the software to capture a screen shot of you holding the document.

May take some trial and error to work out the distance, zoom settings, depth of field, focus etc..

Even a cell phone could be used. I see technicians often using a cell phone to document their work and/or presence on site.

Again just a matter of capturing the photo and transferring or transmitting it to the host Windows 11 desktop.

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
How much of you is in the selfie?

Having you from the waist up and trying to have a printed document, both in focus and readable at the same time....not gonna happen with an inexpensive webcam.
I try for head and shoulders and keep the passport in the same plane as my head. But this webcam isn't high enough resolution to read the text on the passport, yet it is supposed to be good webcam. In the end, I did a selfie on my phone, but have you ever tried a selfie holding a passport close to your head?:rolleyes:

Disappointed in the MS Lifecam, although old now it wasn't cheap.