webcam mic won't respond outside of listening test

May 24, 2018
I noticed the problem today when I was in a Discord call and the other person couldn't hear me.

Basically, I have a perfectly fine and functioning webcam/mic (Logitech C270) hardware wise, but something software related is causing it to not record audio.

I have narrowed it down to software by plugging my mic into my brother's computer and calling myself from it. I am able to hear the sound from the mic in the call when it is plugged into his computer, but not mine. The only time that I can have the mic record audio from my computer is when I go to sounds > recording > right click mic > properties > listen > check listen to this device > apply. Outside of listening to the mic, it is as good as dead.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, unchecking "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and checking it, switching USB ports, adjusting the gain, disabling and reenabling the mic, basically everything that has worked in the past, but with no success.

I have even tried using my brothers C270 webcam in my computer, and again the same issue arises with his as well. Pointing to a software issue and not a hardware issue.

This problem is only very recent too. Last week it was functioning perfectly fine. The only thing that happened was I installed a windows update, but I am unsure as to what about it would have caused the mic to not produce sound. I can pretty much narrow it down to that, as hardware wise I know the mic is perfectly functioning.

Also worth mentioning: when I go to sounds > recording > click mic > configure > set up microphone I am met with an error that reads: "Make sure your audio hardware is working properly and check your audio configuration in the Audio Devices and Sound Themes control panel". So, I cannot configure the microphone either.

Any help would be appreciated, as I really have no clue as to why it would stop working after an update. No microphones seems to be working and I would like to be able to use them. Thanks.

May 24, 2018

You're a life saver! Thanks so much for the quick response!