Webcam Microphone problem.

Scott Zettee

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I have a logitech C170 webcam with microphone. I had it for almost a year and has been working great. Ran into a issue that is weird but annoying. I tried talking to friends on skype today and the webcam worked but the microphone didn't. I noticed it was enabled,levels were at 70 and was chosen as the default device as the default device . I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I had to type chat during the skype call.I tried uninstalling,reinstalling the software,still doesn't work. Googled the heck out of this situation and no answer could be found. Now here is the weird thing, if I load the sound manager and record tab,unplug it and plug it back in the webcam mic WILL work but if I close that out and the light on the webcam goes out and say I load skype and the light turns back on, the mic stops working. I am at a loss here.Can anyone stir me in the right direction and help me out here? thanks in advance!

Solution
I've done that and it doesn't work. Tried using numerous recording tools and the microphone level does not jump up and doesn't pick up sound. I uninstalled and re-instaled the logitech software many times and it still doesn't work. should I re-install realtek audio driver? or is it a windows issue? >_<

Scott Zettee

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I've done that and it doesn't work. Tried using numerous recording tools and the microphone level does not jump up and doesn't pick up sound. I uninstalled and re-instaled the logitech software many times and it still doesn't work. should I re-install realtek audio driver? or is it a windows issue? >_<

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Did you see the name of your microphone in Skype setup? If you tried multiple tools it's probably the microphone setting under sounds. If you can't see the microphone under recording device in Sounds then it could be disabled. Also there is a switch that says show disable device or Don't show disabled devices. If your microphone is disabled you won't even see it to enable it unless that switch under recording devices is set to show disabled devices.

This is how to do it.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab, right click an empty area where the devices should appear. Mark "Show Disabled Devices". Right click on disabled device and click "Enable"

Scott Zettee

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
No it shows the mic under my sound options but the mic won't won't. it's connected and turned on but it won't pick up sound on my machine BUT it will on my wifes laptop. I tried what you suggest and it doesn't work. I created a "step by step" picture of what I did do I could show you that it won't receive sound. I was reading the logitech forums and those guys are stupid when it comes to the product. You can beat I have lost a large amount of faith in the logitech brand after this and I know it's a software issue but I don't know what is overriding the protocol that allows the mic to function. Any other suggestions?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well typically when a device has problems with some software everyone with that same device will have the same problem with the same software. That being said you would think they would have already heard at least one story. That's it seems to point to something with configuration. Now it also could be an upgrade to SKype or maybe an updated driver from the cam. Try remove the cam and close skype and then go back in and reassign the mic. I believe Skype has a test button when you assign the mic see if that works after trying what I said.

Scott Zettee

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Tried that as well. Problem is it's not just with skype but EVERYTHING. Sound Recorder,Twitch...anything that can record sound and it simply doesn't pick up sound. Camera has the current driver installed and skype is on the current version (updated it last week). People have mentioned this problem in the logitech forums as well but not even the fourm techs don't know what is going on. Would making a video be easier to show you what is going on than just explaining it. I think in doing so would give a better understanding in what is going on.

maryla

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Scott Zettee, did you get a solution to this yet? I have EXACTLY the same problem as you. Webcam C170, worked fine one day, next day no mic. Works on my old laptop, no problem. (This old laptop is not connected to internet anymore, and so has not had any updates for some time). All my mic settings are on, at full volume, in all applications and sound manager. I can hear that it is recording, but only if I really yell at it, and even then I only hear the faintest of recordings. Logitech support gave me very basic "duh" type troubleshoots to try, most of which I had already done 100 times over. Would appreciate any feedback if you have solved this issue. I am starting to think this is a case of "upgrading" drivers to outdate the product so the customer has to buy new.

David Stroe

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
HI everyone. I have encountered the same problem, pretty much at the same time as Scott, last year. Still no solution, although I tried everything he mentioned here, before reading this. At one point, my mic worked after a restart, but just for one call. Was not able to reproduce that scenario again since then.

lzukerman

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

My microphone would not work on the C170 (video was fine). I was about to give up when I thought I'd try the 'sound recorder' feature of windows 7. It worked there. I went back to skype and now it works there also.

JeffL1

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
Has anyone found a fix? I have the same problem with my Logitech 9000 webcam. After booting, it shows up as the default mic, and enabled, but it does not react to sound. I found that disabling it, and then re-enabling it gets it working again, but it fails again after the next reboot... most of the time. I think the problem started for me after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Using an analog mic (into the mic jack) doesn't seem to have this problem, so I think it's a USB mic issue.