Question Webcam not initializing on Toshiba Satellite C870-11H ?

Jul 20, 2023
I've got a Toshiba Satellite C780-11H laptop from 2012, running windows 7, service pack 1, 64bit.
When it was brand new the webcam got infected almost instantly by ransom ware, which was very worrying.
I did a factory reset.
I noticed the camera kept trying to start up. I'm not sure how I noticed this, possibly in the task manager. I wasn't sure why this was happening, but given the ransom ware episode it made me nervous so eventually I uninstalled it.
Now I have a requirement to use it.
I tried starting the web cam app but get a notice saying "Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer."
I looked in the Device Manager for imaging devices but there aren't any.
I've also tried looking online for drivers without success.
Can anyone help with this?
Cheers.

Jul 20, 2023
Hi, and thanks for replying.
Yes, hidden devices is ticked.

I just tried starting the Web Camera App but I still get the same error message.
In the task manager - processes I can see TWebCamera.exe *32 runs, and then closes when I close the Web Camera App error message.
In Device Manager I noticed under Network Adaptors there is "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" with a yellow warning symbol and an error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I don't remember noticing that earlier on. I've no idea if this is relevant to the web cam.

Ralston18

Titan
Going back a bit to:

"When it was brand new the webcam got infected almost instantly by ransom ware".

How was that discovered or otherwise became known? Symptoms?

I did a little bit of googling and found the following link:

https://www.minitool.com/news/teredo-tunneling-pseudo-interface.html

Are you able to disable IPv6 on your network?

Not sure that doing so is a solution but the error message etc. makes me believe that IPv6 could be involved if not the direct culprit.

Reactions: Ian42
Jul 20, 2023
The ransom ware locked the screen on a message that appeared to be from the police. It had a picture of me taken with the webcam, and words saying something about having to pay a fine to release the computer, avoid being prosecuted, etc.
I tried the usual things like ctrl-alt-del, but the only way I could release it was by holding down the power button to turn it off. I suspect I used my old machine to look for solutions, and probably ended up doing a safe start and then factory reset.

Thanks for the link. I don't know anything about the registry but I have followed instructions successfully before.
My "network" is just this laptop and the router.
I've found the "Manage Wireless Networks" window, and under "Adaptor properties" I can see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), which is ticked. I could presumably untick this.
Alternatively I followed the regedit steps in your link and got as far as "Step 4: Change the Value data to 0 and click OK to save changes", but I'm not sure how to change it. Presumably I could delete Disabled Components and then recreate it as shown in this link:

I have created a restore point, but I'm a bit cautions about changing things I don't understand, so I thought I 'd check with you first before trying anything. Which option do you think I should try first?

Incidentally I had a look in Program Files (x86) and found the TOSHIBA Web Camera Application folder with a load of files in it, so at least I didn't delete them.

Ralston18

Titan
Just untick IPv6 for now.

Stay out of the registry - that will be a last resort. Forgot to mention that before - apologies.

I am curious about the Toshiba application folder: any files ending in .exe or .ini?

Are you able to take a screenshot that lists the files therein?

Do you have any AV or malware software that you can use to scan that folder and files?

Jul 20, 2023
I've unticked IPv6.
I scanned the Toshiba Web Camera folder with Avira - no viruses found. I've also had the free trial of Malwarebytes Pro until recently and those scans always were clean.

Here's a screen shot of the folder:
View: https://twitter.com/Rids85788259/status/1683778885404569600

Someone sent me a link that show the driver for my laptop:
Toshiba C870-11H Camera / Webcam Driver
Toshiba Webcam driver
File Version : 2.0.3.33
Size : 86.3 MB
File name : webcam-20120510133108.zip

I downloaded the driver from the Dynabook website because I think they're official Toshiba support.
I double clicked the download file and it seemed to be installing files.
I tried starting the web cam app
I also tried restarting the laptop and then starting the webcam but still not working.

Here's the links:

This is what I actually downloaded:

Jul 20, 2023
Quick update - I've managed to get the camera recognised in the device manager. It's a Lexmark X422. It still won't start - same error message. I've tried running the Windows 7 troubleshooter. It found the problem but couldn't fix it. I'm now going to redo some of the things (like driver updates, etc.) that I tried before I'd got the camera recognised.

Jul 20, 2023
Hi Ralston. Just wanted to let you know I haven't managed to get it working and since I've got a conference call this week I've bought a USB Webcam instead. Thanks for your time. Cheers.