• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Webcam not working on Yahoo Messenger with Windows 7

morbius1

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I have just installed the latest Yahoo Messenger (version 9) on a new Windows 7 (x64) platform, and I can't get my webcam to work. All I get when I try --> Messenger --> My webcam is a black screen. My webcam seems to be correctly connected and installed on my PC with the latest drivers ("The device is working"). And I can use my webcam with other applications, like Skype, on Windows 7, with no problems. I use a desktop PC with a USB webcam.

By the way, I can see the video image from the webcams of my YM contacts when I am in a video conversation with them. So, no problem the other way.

I have also tried to un-install/re-install both the webcam (Windows 7 re-installs it automatically) and YM. I have also gone through all the camera settings in YM. But still no chance.

I have already searched the Net, and I found several other YM users reporting the same problem when they try to use their webcam with YM on Windows 7, but I could not find any solution.

Is there a well known problem related to the use of a webcam with YM on Windows 7 ?

Could someone help me ?

morbius1

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
No, in fact, I upgraded from YM v.9 to v.10 (which makes me realize that what I wrote in my OP was slightly incorrect since, at the time I posted it, the last version of YM was already v.10). For sure, I have the problem on YM v.9 and v.10.

I can try to downgrade to v.8 and check, if I can find this v.8...

N8eb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Don't know if this helps or confuses the issue, but I am looking to buy a webcam for my new upgrade to Win 7 x64... Seems no one will guarantee a webcam to work with the x64....

olea

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Hi!
I have the same problem, but with Windows Vista and my YM for sure is not the latest. The camera works with Skype, but with YM - black screen. Did you solve this problem? Thanks.