[SOLVED] Webcam only turns on when I restart my laptop

Apr 10, 2020
Webcam only turns on when I restart my laptop

Hey all. I have a Dell Inspiron i5559-7080SLV which for a while now has had a webcam problem. If I want to do anything with the webcam, like Skype, or using the facial recognition to log in, I have to restart the laptop and that’s only when it will work. I’ve tried everything including reinstalling drivers and replacing the hard drive (although that was unrelated to this issue) and nothing has worked. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance. 😀

Solution
Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events related to any of the three: facial recognition software, webcam, Skype.

There may be some record of some process or service failing to start during the original boot. However, the restart may recognize the presence of the camera and then it works.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events related to any of the three: facial recognition software, webcam, Skype.

There may be some record of some process or service failing to start during the original boot. However, the restart may recognize the presence of the camera and then it works.

Solution