News Webcam Sales up 179%, Monitors Grow 138% and Other Coronavirus Sales Records

alextheblue

Distinguished
Webcams eh? Gotta work from home... heh... but yeah there's a lot of items that are selling at an abnormal rate. I was shocked for a moment by the lack of good deals on decent hair clippers, until the "Oh, right" light went off in my head.

Reactions: bit_user

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I think this analysts projections for the third quarter are way off. Businesses and production should be restarting in the third quarter and the economy will explode with pent up consumer demand. In the tech world the new Nvidia, AMD and Intel offerings should be ready to debut then. Despite having purchased a 2080 super August 2019 it is my patriotic duty to purchase a 3080 or the ti model in the 3rd or 4th quarter funded by the government $1200 stimulus checks.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think this analysts projections for the third quarter are way off. Businesses and production should be restarting in the third quarter and the economy will explode with pent up consumer demand.
That's certainly optimistic. I hope you're right, but I fear you're not.

Unemployment numbers are swelling, massively. Lots of businesses are done, in spite of promised stimulus and loans. And the hardest-hit is going to be the developing countries that don't have good health infrastructure, enough medical staff even in normal circumstances, or money to compete in the bidding war for PPE and medical supplies. This matters because those countries are important markets for some US businesses, which means their stock prices, capital expenditures, and hiring are all going to remain stagnant.

You're right that there will be some pent-up demand, but consumers also spend less when they don't have jobs or when they're less optimistic about the economic outlook, and this has really shaken people's faith in the economy.

funded by the government $1200 stimulus checks.
Most people need those for food, rent, and bills. Even people who still have their jobs are probably going to use that money to pay down debt, rather than going out and buying a new phone or GPU.

Personally, I'm much more focused on investing than spending. A down market is the best time to get in, if you have any money to spare.

Last edited: