Question WebP Has No Support in Windows 10

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
If I download a WebP image to my HDD, Windows 10 won't open it in Photos. And Windows Photo Viewer is out, as it no longer comes with clean installs of Windows 10 (which I have). What is the best way to simply open these and view them?

Also, I wanted to customize what app Windows 10 uses when I click "Edit" in the context menu on any image files. I used WinaeroTweaker to set it to Photoshop. This has been 99% successful, with the exception of WebP. Any chance I can somehow get it associated with the other image files that are trigged when "Edit" is selected?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
WebP:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp#:~:text=WebP is a modern image,in size compared to PNGs.

From the link:

"WebP is natively supported in Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, the Opera browser, and by many other tools and software libraries. Developers have also added support to a variety of image editing tools. "

So none of your browsers will open the WebP images?

= = = =

Windows allows users to set the default app for file types.

FYI:

https://woshub.com/managing-default-file-associations-in-windows-10/

You can easily find other similar tutorials via Google.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
WebP:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp#:~:text=WebP is a modern image,in size compared to PNGs.

From the link:

"WebP is natively supported in Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, the Opera browser, and by many other tools and software libraries. Developers have also added support to a variety of image editing tools. "

So none of your browsers will open the WebP images?

= = = =

Windows allows users to set the default app for file types.

FYI:

https://woshub.com/managing-default-file-associations-in-windows-10/

You can easily find other similar tutorials via Google.

Thanks, but from what I can tell, this circumvents the two things I was hoping to accomplish. The first link doesn't allow this to open in a native Windows viewer (using a browser for this is almost as annoying as having to open GIF files in Explorer back in the Windows 7 days). Second, setting a file type for an app that isn't on my system doesn't seem to be a solution. Or am I missing something there?

I just installed Win10 22H2 into a VM a few weeks ago, ran the registry to make WPV show up in the "Open with" menu, and it worked just fine. I think I got the registry file from tenforums. However, WPV does not support WebP.

So you're saying Windows Picture Viewer is installed, and I can unhide it with a reg edit? That could be a partial solution, as other forums have stated multiple times that it will open WebP. At least, that's what I'm reading...

gardenman

Splendid
A plug-in is required for Irfanview (that's actually what I use for WebP).

I was wrong. WPV does support WebP.

Here's both viewers with the same image. It looks alot better in Irfanview for some reason.
HUqrbls.jpg

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Thanks all! Very helpful info. So I have partial success! I was able to download the reg file that put WPV back on Windows 10, associated it with opening WebP files permanently. So I'm half way there.

However...

I still would love to find a solution to my context menu prob. I notice that when I right click on the WebP file, I don't even get an "Edit With" option of any kind (like I would with any other image format). Is there a way to add this AND then set it to Photoshop?

Thanks all! Very helpful info. So I have partial success! I was able to download the reg file that put WPV back on Windows 10, associated it with opening WebP files permanently. So I'm half way there.

However...

I still would love to find a solution to my context menu prob. I notice that when I right click on the WebP file, I don't even get an "Edit With" option of any kind (like I would with any other image format). Is there a way to add this AND then set it to Photoshop?
you mean this?

index.php

if yes, then check file type that its set as same type as other image files where your edit with works

open registry, hkey_classes_root
compare .webp content with lets say .jpg
both should have same content/perceived file type set as image
LHnOnXJ.png

technically if other image files have already working context menu, this change should be enough, unless you want to add another edit with option there?