Webpages not loading with new dns setup

Jan 22, 2019
I just set up a new DNS server / File Server so that we can share files securely over our network. I have added 2 new computers to the network and I plan to add another 10 machines at least, but the 2 that are set up don't load websites very quickly, and more often than not, the sites don't fully load either. I know it isn't a browser issue because I get the same issues across chrome, firefox, explorer, brave, and edge... all the computers using our internet connection have no issues with speed or loading, only those that are connected to the server.

Troubleshooting a DNS Server settings

Jan 22, 2019

I updated the explanation above with more info... new to this forum. I have both pcs setup with static IP's and pointed to my DNS server as the DNS... tell me what settings you want to know about and I will tell you what they are.

Why do you have your own DNS server? Most use the default DNS server supplied by their ISP, or use Google's. The purpose of a DNS server is to translate URLs to an IP address, so you don't have to know that "WWW.google.com" is really "216.58.194.196" Unless your DNS server has that entry so it can translate it, yous systyem has to go elsewhere to look it up, and that can cause delays.

Try calling up a command prompt and pinging the address that is slow or laggy , and telling us what it says for round trip times.

Jan 22, 2019
I am setting up a network for our office. DNS server is so the system is secure.... ...and so each workstation can join the network and access files on server too

Not sure what you are setting up. The DNS function is not a security function. If you are setting up a Microsoft domain server it does provide DNS abilities but you do not have to use it. In small networks it might be easier to not use the dns ability

In any case your server is acting as a proxy. Instead of the end machine going out to say 8.8.8.8 and looking up www.microsoft.com it send the request to your internal server that then asks 8.8.8.8, gets the response and send it to the end machine. The server now has to take on the load of all the DNS transactions. If the server is busy it can bottleneck this request.

It is not common to share files using a domain server on a tiny network mostly because of the cost of the server license.

Jan 22, 2019
Microsoft Server 2016 is what I am setting up. - So I can have my network set up to file share from the server without using DNS capabilities? Do they just belong to the same workgroup then? Instead of all on the same domain? Or do I keep the domain?