Question Website builders claiming they need my login information

Nov 15, 2019
I am in the process of getting my own website and I found a startup company that is willing to do it for free because they need references and experience. I'm going to buy hosting and the domain through Siteground and they claim that they need my login information to build the website. I'm unsure about this process in general.
Should I be careful ?
What should I do.

Tldr. Having a startup company build my website for free. They say they need my login information for siteground. What should I do.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly, they would absolutely need your login information in order to build the site, as they won't be able to access the admin side of it otherwise, and depending on your host, likely won't allow additional users to have admin control.

HOWEVER I will say a random company offering to do websites for free will always sound sketchy. Ultimately it is not that difficult to build your own site. It's down to how much you trust this group and if your current details have any important information on them.

All in all, I build my own sites, and a company offering to do it for free as long as you give them your login info, will ALWAYS sound suspicious to some degree.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I'm in total agreement with everything in both posts above. In the end building your own site is pretty simple, so if it's important you may just want to do it yourself. Or go with a different site building company that will charge for their services.