Website icons in IE6 address bar and Favorites

keith

How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're all
gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize all
websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best anyway!
Thanks for any help

Hi Keith,

The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
post of Alan Edwards, MVP

<quote>

Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
To make them permanent:
FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp

or

The Code Project - FavIconizer:
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp

</quote>

Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm

To implement this manually:

Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico

Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
used to view the favicon location.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
> all
> gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
> different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize
> all
> websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
> anyway!
> Thanks for any help

keith

WOW! Thanks a bunch! Now I have more than I had before!! The pcmag link is
charging 6 bucks for the program but the codeproject is free. Thanks
again!!!!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
> so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
> need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
> the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
> post of Alan Edwards, MVP
>
> <quote>
>
> Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
> To make them permanent:
> FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp
>
> or
>
> The Code Project - FavIconizer:
> http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp
>
> </quote>
>
> Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm
>
> To implement this manually:
>
> Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
> URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
> Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico
>
> Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
> the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
> Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
> used to view the favicon location.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
> > all
> > gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
> > different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I realize
> > all
> > websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
> > anyway!
> > Thanks for any help

You're welcome! AM-Deadlink is free as well.

--

> WOW! Thanks a bunch! Now I have more than I had before!! The pcmag link
> is
> charging 6 bucks for the program but the codeproject is free. Thanks
> again!!!!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder,
>> and
>> so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
>> need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon
>> for
>> the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process. Follow this
>> post of Alan Edwards, MVP
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
>> To make them permanent:
>> FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp
>>
>> or
>>
>> The Code Project - FavIconizer:
>> http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm
>>
>> To implement this manually:
>>
>> Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click
>> the
>> URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
>> Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico
>>
>> Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and
>> save
>> the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in
>> it's
>> Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also
>> be
>> used to view the favicon location.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I get those little icons back? I ran a disk cleanup and they're
>> > all
>> > gone and back to the little "e" on the page again. I enjoyed having
>> > different icons for each site as a quick reference. Of course, I
>> > realize
>> > all
>> > websites don't have a custom icon, but the ones that did were the best
>> > anyway!
>> > Thanks for any help

TRENDING THREADS