Website popout thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnKristian

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
So, i was on a website, and i got a popup, it redirected me to a site and it said i was watching illegal content and something about money, i couldent close my browser so i hit the restart button.

When computer started everything is running as normal, i did scan with malwarebytes and windows defender and i dident find anything. Was this just a simple popup and not a virus? can i be sure it dident effect the computer? cause atleast i can't find it and it havent reduced the computer speed etc.

Solution
It sounds like you escaped without harm. I highly suggest installing Ad Block or something similar to minimize these incidents in the future. You can also turn off autoplay of plugins (Java, Flash, etc.) - it can really help prevent drive by infections. Since enabling both, I've never had an issue.
G

Yep, I've seen this before. Must be that phony FBI warning. Fortunately, the one you saw was only a pop-up. It probably did not install anything on your computer.

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like you escaped without harm. I highly suggest installing Ad Block or something similar to minimize these incidents in the future. You can also turn off autoplay of plugins (Java, Flash, etc.) - it can really help prevent drive by infections. Since enabling both, I've never had an issue.

Solution
G

I'm using Adblock Plus myself and it did not stop this. If you've set Firefox to re-open to the last page when it crashes or after killing the firefox.exe process, it will always re-open to that same page. You need to go into the Options and disable that feature. Otherwise, you'll have the impression that your browser or computer have been compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.