Websites Can Store IP Addresses Without User Consen--To Improve Security, Says CJEU

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Whapham

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
What people need to understand here is that we don't own the IP addresses that is given to us by our ISPs.. I don't see how a website storing them is a violation of anyone's right to privacy.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Your address is 96th Johnson Ave., 93930, California, Los Angeles.
We know it, just because we want it...just in case somebody attacks us and we could possibly blame you. Of course, to stop thieves from getting in OUR house, we need your address.

Next step: Now, please, write down your own address on a piece of paper and stick that piece of paper to your forehead. That way, even if it's a place reachable by basically everyone, they know when you're out, where you've been, at what time...etc.etc...and they'll know that forever.("store")

As if an attacker couldn't be stopped without storing the addresses of every single visitor. Right, this is just not possible today. Not anymore, I mean. I support the need for open toilets in the middle of the street.
Because our citizens deserve to be protected by law [strike]abuse[/strike] enforcement agencies whenever they encounter problems with excrements coming out their anuses. (yeah, somebody's gotta lick that, NSA)

G

An IP address is just that, an address. If you sent a letter without a return address, you wouldn't expect to get a letter back. When you ask to see a website, they can't serve it to you if they don't have your IP.

Now, about storing your IP, and all the data of every click you make on their website, an the aggregate analytics available of all your behavior, well, get over it. It's never going back. If you don't like it, don't use the internet.

First of all, this is pure propaganda BS at its finest.
Any kind of hacker that can potentially be dangerous knows that the best way to stay hidden is to not use your own IP (in this case we are not talking about getting onto someone else's computer and using his IP but using a public IP like the one on the airport or so).

Second, there are two types of IP: Static and Dynamic. If you have a Dynamic IP address, you will most likely be tracked down to about 150 users that have the same gateway.

3rd, You dont protect yourself from hackers, thats a myth. There are two options: You attack the hacker back (if you are luck enough to be on your guard when the hack happens) or you do damage assessment after you know you've been hacked (what kinda everyone is doing right now, sony, dropbox, steam, hilary clinton... you get the idea).

So knowing the IP from where an attack came is like knowing what gun shot the bullet that killed you. It wont stop the guy pulling the trigger, and you still dont know who the gunman is, only the gun model.

4th, What this CAN be used for is more control over the masses. Target propaganda, ad revenue, blackmail material, etc.

5th, Those who have that information are the ones that decide what they will do with it, not you. Personally I dont trust people I know nothing about too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.