linyoa

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hey guys,

So back in November I built myself a new computer and managed to score myself a WEI of 7.8 after overclocking. Fast forward to today however, and I've noticed that my WEI has dropped to 5.9, namely because my Vertex 3 has dropped down to 5.9, though my cpu has also dropped down to 7.7.

I tried rerunning the test, as well as checking in BIOS to see if my overclocking remained, and if the Vertex 3 was indeed plugged into the SATA III slot with the correct settings. Everything seems fine to me.

Can anyone possibly lead me to the problem?
Thanks guys,
Linyoa

Solution
How full is your Vertex 3? If the SSD is too full, say with less than 15% free space, the speed performance can take a big hit.

Another less likely scenario is if the computer runs 24/7 with no inactive period, i.e. continuous drive reads/writes, TRIM and garbage collection have little chance to do their work.

linyoa

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Yes it is in AHCI mode, and I followed your instructions but sadly it remains unchanged.

Maybe this should bother me, as it has not had a noticeable effect on boot speed, but it does...

Thanks for the help

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
How full is your Vertex 3? If the SSD is too full, say with less than 15% free space, the speed performance can take a big hit.

Another less likely scenario is if the computer runs 24/7 with no inactive period, i.e. continuous drive reads/writes, TRIM and garbage collection have little chance to do their work.

Solution

linyoa

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
It is almost full (2.5 GB left.) I'm going to try to remove my storage and retest. It's true if it's just my WEI that is suffering and not performance, I won't mind. But there is also my cpu that went slightly down...

EDIT:
Even with both my storage drives removed, and only the Vertex 3 left in its still at 5.9. I suppose I shall try clearing out some of the "useless" files off of the drive.
Speaking of which, does anyone know how to move the virtual store to another drive?
Thanks again

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Yes, you definitely need to have more free space. I don't know if there's a cast-in-stone minimum, but usually it's recommended that you leave at least 20% of the drive free.

Some "usual suspects" are to turn off hibernation to remove a hibernation file roughly equal to your RAM size and/or to manually size your page file to something less than the default size.

linyoa

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Alright, after freeing 13 GB of space I got the score to a 7.7
Not the 7.9 it originally had, but still far better than a 5.9
The help was much appreciated