tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
wei=windows experience index (windows 7, 64-bit)

i have 2gb of g.skill 800mhz ram with an e6750 clocked at 3.2ghz. when i oc'd the chip, the 6.1wei score of the memory went up to 6.9. THEN i bought 4gb more of ram. still 6.9. then i did a mem test and one of the new ram chips was defective. it failed the tests every time. so i returned it and got a refund (never really noticed a difference), and now with 2gb i only get 5.5 on wei, never 6.9 again, although i got that at one point with the same memory and the same oc. what gives? should i not give a damn about wei?

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
thanks. is there any explanation for the 1.4 drop from 6.9 to 5.5 though? or just coincidence? i notice sometimes when i boot my PC the video card (5770) says 6.0, other times i boot and it says 7.4, even though it's a brand new card. every time it says 7.4 or 6.0 the 3dmark06 score is always about 14,000. would the 3dmark06 score drop if the WEI was right and the ram really is performing worse (for no good reason)?

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
You should try running the WEI from scratch... On the page where it gives you the score of each individual component, look on the right side panel and select advance options, and click on "clear and re run WEI" once you get in, and see how that pens out. I know alot of people say how the WEI isn't a dependable benchmark for hardware performance, but when you see those high score on there, it definitely makes you feel like you're either on the right path or doing something right for a change... I have an overal score of 7.7 and I love seeing that everytime i hit the system properties button, so i know how you feel... For instance, when you got a low memory rating with the new ram, and you did your check, it turned out that one of your stick was actually bad... So it really is dependable to some extent in my books... Good luck

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

no actually the other way around. the bad memory (plus the good memory) was giving me a 6.9, but the good memory alone gives me a 5.5.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
The WEI doesn't only test the speed, but also counts the amount of ram you have in total in your system, so even if one sticks were bad, the total ram you have now is less than what you had with the one good (from the 4gig) and the old 2gig in total... Like i mentioned before, it is a good but not the ultimate benchmark for overall system performance, so don't sweat it too much...

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

okay to completely get the concern out of my head that something is wrong with my RAM, can you tell me, if i get a 13,747 on 3dmark06 when the WEI memory is 6.9 and then i run 3dmark06 again and get 13,747 exactly again when the WEI memory is rated at 5.5, is it safe to say nothing has actually changed? i ask only because i don't know how much RAM affects a 3dmark06 score.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I believe the speed of your memory is what 3dmark uses... It also uses about 1 gig of the total memory in your system for the test... It wouldn't run if you entire available memory stock is unstable... If the portion or stick it gets the needed 1 gig from runs at the same speed as yours did before, even though you had a mixture of bad sticks in there, your score would most probably stay the same... Your system is ok, you need not worry about anything else...