Question Weird 2060 issue - Low FPS overlocking

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just installed a Zotac RTX 2060 dual fan. I was going to put an overclock on it +150 CPU and +500 on memory. So I load up MSI Afterburner. Put the OC in and run Heaven along with it. At this point I do not have the Heaven window focused. Running fine. As soon as I focus the window, FPS plummets, screen flashes. I load up a game. Same thing, Non focused window high FPS, as soon as I focus it, the FPS drops. Ok so I remove the overclock and shut down MSI Afterburner. Load up heaven, same thing.

I now have to restart the system to get to act normal again.

This is incredibly strange. I have seen the opposite issue, but I have never seen FPS tank when you focus the window. This also affects Borderless windowed in games.

Load up a game in borderless or windowed and it tanks, change focus high FPS. Switch to full screen everything is fine. Once I restart everything goes back to normal.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 4.01
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Bios 1.9
Ram: 16GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung 250 GB SSD/ WD Black 1TB HDD
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 - Driver 419.17
PSU: 1000w Antec
Chassis: Antec

Last edited:

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
List your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU drivers?

This was the first thing I did. It fixed the issue and I initially thought it was the graphics driver. I have the latest installed 419.17. Did a full clean and reinstall with DDU.