Question Weird almost rattle-like noise from pc?

kristoffermilo

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
In the last couple of days, ive noticed that my system has been making some kinda of weird noise, but since i dont use my pc much anymore, i havent thought about it. But as i just came home from work and have to waste a few hours, i turned on my pc and this sound has been coming back at random intervals. Sometimes its not there for 5 min, sometimes its every 15 second. All of it is random. But the noise is just so weird and i cant stop hearing it whenever its there. Ive noticed its been saying that noise for years, but it was maybe like once a day for a few seconds, but now its way too often. Anyone knows what it is? Ive been looking into CPU pump rattling noises and it just doesnt sound like it to me.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? Ive uploaded a video of the sound in the YouTube link belo. Idk if i can add videos to this thread.
Its quite hard to hear unless on full volume, but you can easily hear it IRL

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to get a hold of a sheet of A4 paper, roll it up into a cylinder and hold one end of said cylinder to ear. You will need to then remove the side panel from the case and then use the cylinder to narrow down the source of the noise.

Also, are your system specs the same as stated in your sig space? If so, please include them in the body of your thread as sig space specs can and will change over time rendering this thread and any relevant solutions moot to the user in the same boat as you're in now. Please add the age of your PSU as well.

kristoffermilo

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
I just came home again and thanks for the answers:

To punkncat: Yes, i have a HDD, which is getting kinda old, but i havent had any issues with it yet (untill now maybe)

To Lutfij: Thats some Einstein kinda genious stuff right there, what a great idea! I will try it out tomorrow when i get home from work. I have been up for the past 18 hours, which is making my legs shaky, so i will go to bed after making dinner, but i will defo do it tomorrow. I let the PC stay on while i was out driving my mom home from work (Im using her car since my own is at the mechanic and i live far away from work. She doesnt mind as long as i fill up the tank)

To answer your second row of question: My PC has changed slightly, since i havent updated the specs on the forum since 2016. Here is my updated specs:

My PSU is from 2015/2016, so its around 7-8 years old at this point. Jesus, im getting old...

Case: NZXT H440W Ultra Silent - Black/Red
Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K | 4.7GHz @1.400v
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 240mm
MotherBoard: MSI Gaming Z170A Krait 3X
Hard drive: 1TB WD Blue & 1TB WD External Harddrive
SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 SSD - 120GB
M.2: Samsung 980 SSD PCIe 3.0 - 500GB
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3200 DC - 32GB
PSU: EVGA G2 750W

kristoffermilo

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hello. I havent been able to test bc of work. I just turned on the computer and started watching some videos and the sound started. I was wondering what could make it happen since it all started when i recently added a m.2 ssd and reset windows onto that new SSD. I checked temps for no specific reason and i saw that my GPU was running idle at 58-60c, which is much higher than it used to. I checked my fan curve and its off untill 60c. I just tweeked it abit and i found out its turning on and off because my GPU would get up to 60c and then down to 58, where the fans would turn off. Now its not making the noise at all, even at load. I think its just making that weird noise, when fans are at 10%. Thanks for the input guys :D