Weird artefacts all over monitor

techdude7

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Hi all,
I've been using my PC for about a year, no problems.

Yesterday I was playing Terraria (having a great time) when my graphics card (Gigabyte 560 Ti)
started playing up. I now have these weird green dots all over my screen whenever I use my computer. There are also grey lines during boot (same grey as the boot image)

I recently upgraded to 5GB of RAM, however don't think it's the problem. All help appreciated!

Solution
Generally, green dot artifacts are bad memory, or memory overclocked too far.

If the card is out of warranty (Gigabyte is only 3 years) then it may be possible to salvage the card for mostly office use by underclocking the memory. You can permanently change the speed of the memory with a BIOS editor, which for your Fermi card would be NiBiTor. There is a small chance that the issues may be due to a bad solder joint on the BGA pads (usually this shows as black squares) in which case baking the card in an oven to reflow the solder would be the repair.

Otherwise it's probably time for a new card.
Generally, green dot artifacts are bad memory, or memory overclocked too far.

If the card is out of warranty (Gigabyte is only 3 years) then it may be possible to salvage the card for mostly office use by underclocking the memory. You can permanently change the speed of the memory with a BIOS editor, which for your Fermi card would be NiBiTor. There is a small chance that the issues may be due to a bad solder joint on the BGA pads (usually this shows as black squares) in which case baking the card in an oven to reflow the solder would be the repair.

Otherwise it's probably time for a new card.

Solution