[SOLVED] Weird artifacting on images and videos in browsers, not sure what the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020
EDIT: Alright so I figured it out, one my cores(core3) is having issues, i disabled it and now everything is working fine. I ordered a new CPU, Mobo and RAM. Hope this helps anyone that stumbles here. :)

Hey!

Today my PC started producing weird issues. First time I noticed it happening I was playing Minecraft - which was working fine.
The issue was that some images in my browser had weird artifacting on them for example:
Q50mHyZ.png

First it only happened on images, then after a bit it started happening on youtube videos too, and some of my media players too (it happened on KMPlayer but it didn't on Media Player Classic). What I noticed is that each time I refresh with ctrl f5 it gets corrupted in a different way album of the same image refreshed multiple times for reference:
View: https://imgur.com/a/pYRGImN

Now Youtube videos stopped doing it for a little then came back then stopped again, rn it's not happening on them but I assume its only a matter of time until it happens again.
What I noticed is that it does not happen on pngs only jpeg and gifs but even those they don't always happen.

So far it happened in Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, Discord, Spotify, Steam.

Opening jpegs with default windows image viewer works perfectly fine no issue whatsoever.

Games work perfectly fine, GPU isn't overheating at all, tried playing Disgaea 5 and Monster Hunter World on high settings for 30 minutes worked perfectly fine.

The things I've tried so far:
  • GPU driver update
  • GPU driver uninstall with DDU
  • Newest GPU driver reinstall
  • Safe mode
  • Different (older) windows install that I still have from before I switched to my SSD from HDD (so no updates since november on that one). Issues still present.
  • Unplugging monitors and only using one
  • Complete shutdown, unplugging power cable for a minute
  • (EDIT) Removing every ram and trying them 1 by 1 in each slot, same issue with every stick in every slot
My specs:

i5 4690K (no OC)
Asus Z97-C
16 GB DDR3 RAM on 1333 mhz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (no OC)
FSP Raider Silver 550W 80+

I bought my GPU last december, used, so I suspect that thats the culprit, thankfully it still has warranty for 6 months so if I can rule it out that it is definitely the one doing it then I'm going to RMA it. I will be able to test a different GPU tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what the heck is going wrong however I'm open to any other ideas on how to fix/test what's wrong.

EDIT: I just realized I have onboard graphics so I removed my GPU and it's still happening with onboard graphics, so now I'm completely clueless. :D So I guess I'm in the wrong section now idk if I can move it to somewhere else but tbh I don't know where else I should post it anyway.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Most likely it is your GPU that is slowly dying because it was used before you and never know what the last owner did so I would RMA right now and hopefuly they will send you an another one that will be fixed and you can still use youtube and such with the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on your CPU!

Apr 26, 2020
Most likely it is your GPU that is slowly dying because it was used before you and never know what the last owner did so I would RMA right now and hopefuly they will send you an another one that will be fixed!
Yeah I thought about that too, but then shouldnt games have issues too? Or is it possible to only have issues with jpegs and videos but not with more gpu intensive stuff like games?

Status
Not open for further replies.