Question Weird artifacts on ASUS VG27AQ ?

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
Hi everyone,
It's been like two years since I bought an ASUS VG27AQ monitor, and lately I started noticing weird artefacts.
I noticed them at first in one game in particular, then everywhere when I was looking for them hard enough.
It's like a smoky, almost transparent black frame, slightly flickering. It draws a square "around" the screen, a few cm from the actual border.
Like if you took a sharpy and a white piece of paper and drew four black borders.

It doesn't appear on screenshots,
I plugged the monitor into a laptop and the artefacts were still there, so I know it's the screen.
Has anyone noticed this before ? It only stands out in certain situations and is easy to overlook.

I am rather disappointed with this display, two years of use and already such an issue. (there is also a small spot that appears brighter whenever a white image is displayed, which is I think a more broad issue and isn't so bad). I will certainly change the display, and if you have any advice / recommendation, please share them here.
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Could you include images and/or a video of what you're seeing?

If the issue is prevalent across other platforms and the denominator is your panel, while it's under warranty, best try and RMA it. You could also try and see if swapping the cables changes anything for you, since you've already tried working with a donor platform.

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
Hey, thanks for your reply, I actually did RMA it already (resellers were quick) and to my suprised they immediately offered a refund, so I won't be able to make further test, the cable is a good idea though, I'll try it if anything like this occurs again.

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
Here is a drawing for the artefact, where the black line is the border of the screen, the grey outline the artefact in question (ok, seems I cannot insert a picture here : /).
Can a cable really produces graphic glitches ? I used a display port (I think, the one both with a square and a bevel angle) , to get a 144 Hz refresh rate, because regular hdmi couldn't get me more than 60 Hz