[SOLVED] Weird Audio Problems fixed...finally!

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I previously posted this on the 'Tom's forums:

"All of a sudden - for some unknown reason - the audio levels on all my games are 2-3 notches lower than they were. The sound levels on YouTube are nomal. Most of my games are on Steam...except for Guild Wars 2, but all are affected. Anyone know anything about this strange anomaly or what might be causing it?"

Well, I finally got it sorted out: turned out to be a buggy mod that I had installed for Fallout 4! Yeah, one buggy mod screwed up the audio for all my games! The mod is: Misriah Armory, by Nova. So, if you're having problems with your audio performance, and you're playing Fallout 4 with this mod installed, disable it and see if that fixes your problem.

Solution
This is part of the reason many gamers, and a lot of developers, are resistant to using/allowing mods on their games. There's really no QC on such things, so it's up to those using and allowing them to thoroughly check for such problems before installing and after allowing them.
This is part of the reason many gamers, and a lot of developers, are resistant to using/allowing mods on their games. There's really no QC on such things, so it's up to those using and allowing them to thoroughly check for such problems before installing and after allowing them.

Solution

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019

I currently have 357 mods running together nicely in my Fallout 4 game...the one that I mentioned in my OP is a special case: it slipped through the cracks, so to speak. Thank god it was buggy, though, because elsewise I might never have figured out what was causing my audio problems!

Modding is the future of gaming...developers who resist the steady march into that future will disappear from the industry altogether - unless they switch their focus to making games for little children. :D

Reactions: sambolou
I currently have 357 mods running together nicely in my Fallout 4 game...the one that I mentioned in my OP is a special case: it slipped through the cracks, so to speak. Thank god it was buggy, though, because elsewise I might never have figured out what was causing my audio problems!

Modding is the future of gaming...developers who resist the steady march into that future will disappear from the industry altogether - unless they switch their focus to making games for little children. :D
I'm not saying there aren't benefits to being able to run mods, but I would also say it's not wise to install them willy nilly without doing a fair bit of research on it. If it's a well known modder with tons of DLs and praise it's one thing, but if you don't know much about them or their work, it's like trusting an eBay seller with no rating.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I'm not saying there aren't benefits to being able to run mods, but I would also say it's not wise to install them willy nilly without doing a fair bit of research on it. If it's a well known modder with tons of DLs and praise it's one thing, but if you don't know much about them or their work, it's like trusting an eBay seller with no rating.

Very true...and there is definitely a steep learning curve associated with successfully modding a game, especially one as big as fallout 4. The entire modding scene needs to be restructured so that good modders are nicely rewarded for their efforts, and bad modders are pushed out of the competition (at least until they get better at making good mods). The first step toward that goal would be for the game developers themselves to create more robust modding tool-sets that are polished, tested, and stable...it's really hard to make good mods with janky tools/systems, like the ones that Bethesda and Firaxis gave us.

Very true...and there is definitely a steep learning curve associated with successfully modding a game, especially one as big as fallout 4. The entire modding scene needs to be restructured so that good modders are nicely rewarded for their efforts, and bad modders are pushed out of the competition (at least until they get better at making good mods). The first step toward that goal would be for the game developers themselves to create more robust modding tool-sets that are polished, tested, and stable...it's really hard to make good mods with janky tools/systems, like the ones that Bethesda and Firaxis gave us.
Yeah good tools are essential. There also needs to be more transparency on how much experience a given modder has, and a rating system. The problem is, no one is obligated to accurately describe their skill level when posting mods, and users aren't required to rate the mods. This is why it's always imperative the user does thorough research before installing one, but sometimes there's not much to go on. It's those cases I'm talking about, where it's better to avoid than take a chance.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Yeah good tools are essential. There also needs to be more transparency on how much experience a given modder has, and a rating system. The problem is, no one is obligated to accurately describe their skill level when posting mods, and users aren't required to rate the mods. This is why it's always imperative the user does thorough research before installing one, but sometimes there's not much to go on. It's those cases I'm talking about, where it's better to avoid than take a chance.

I totally agree. The rating system on Nexus is a joke because you can only give mod makers a thumbs-up, or abstain. This only prevents us from improving the field of modding. As it is right now, I never give money to mod makers or any of the mod hosting sites...I'd like to but it just isn't the smart thing to do right now.