Question Weird behaviour after reset

Feb 1, 2022
After resetting my pc, only one of my monitors worked. After looking around for a while and found nothing that fixed it checked in the pc, and the cpu light is flashing red, and after that dram flashed yellow, then it boots. I tried resetting again cause i thought it might fix it, now my monitor dosent even show up in nvida control panel.
Streamable Video boot video

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
What do you mean by resetting? Reset to me means 'pressing the reset button' which reboots it. Not a complete reinstallation. Could also mean 'reinstalled windows' so ran windows setup and 'reset windows' .

Do you know if the cpu and dram lights flash every time you power on or restart the pc or did you only just notice now you have a problem with a monitor? I simply don't see any connection to cpu/dram leds and monitor and if the system is otherwise working normally.

So don't know what you might've done if the monitor just went out co-incidentally at the same time as you 'reset' your pc or if it's merely a bad cable ok freaky glitch but you still have to investigate and try different things like trying with only 1 monitor as the primary monitor, trying the cable on the working monitor etc.

so variety of options to try I would probably assume if it doesn't work as the only primary monitor with the cable from your other good monitor then it simply chose that moment to die. Could be wrong so just list everything so ppl can have an idea of what they're looking at. Maybe a connection port went out on the gpu even. Maybe the power cable is simply not fully seated. Unusual but a fuse could've blown in the plug.

What are your system specs?

CPu:
Cooler:
Memory:
Mobo:
Gpu:
Drives:

Power Supply: (make/model/age)
Case:
Fans:

Monitors:

Feb 1, 2022
I mean that I did a fresh install of windows.

Yes they flash everytime I restart, and i noticed it just now when my secondary monitor stopped working.
Also system seems alot more laggy but might be me cause it wont let me change the hz of my working monitor.

CPu: i7-10700k
Cooler: corsair icue h100i
Memory: corsair vegeance
Mobo: rog strix z490-f gaming
Gpu: rtx 3070
Drives: m.2 samsung

note: when pressing detect monitor in windows, the secondary monitor turns on and then back on flashing "No singnal"

Imgur: The magic of the Internet Somehow it sees both monitors on this?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022
I guess my monitor just died randomly? I tried with only the "broken" monitor connected and still no signal. It responds to detect monitor tho

DavidM012

Distinguished
don't know my experience ends there maybe someone else might. Looks like it senses the monitor is plugged in but no signal could be something with the gpu though I would expect with default install that it would simply detect the monitor and no settings would have to be changed.

There is the setup multiple monitor options under 'display' of nvidia control panel. See if that does anything.

Feb 1, 2022
don't know my experience ends there maybe someone else might. Looks like it senses the monitor is plugged in but no signal could be something with the gpu though I would expect with default install that it would simply detect the monitor and no settings would have to be changed.

There is the setup multiple monitor options under 'display' of nvidia control panel. See if that does anything.
It's really weird how it showed on the physX tho? It dosen't show on setup multiple displays. Any idea what the red flashing on the cpu means though?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Your monitors were connected on displayport? So you tried another connection method and it works well I don't know what goes wrong with displayport much could only be a cable or a port hard to see how it can spontaneously not work I mean the cables could wear if they were constantly unplugged and plugged back in but yeah a monitor just sitting there plugged in with a cable working one minute not the next, then works with a different cable, is difficult to imagine the cause.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022
Your monitors were connected on displayport? So you tried another connection method and it works well I don't know what goes wrong with displayport much could only be a cable or a port hard to see how it can spontaneously not work I mean the cables could wear if they were constantly unplugged and plugged back in but yeah a monitor just sitting there plugged in with a cable working one minute not the next, then works with a different cable, is difficult to imagine the cause.
Just tried with the working monitor cable and still nothing... So the displayport randomly decided to stop working or what? Now i'm stuck on 60hz great.

DavidM012

Distinguished
usually I search issues but can't imagine how to frame the search terms 'display port just stopped working on monitor?'? So you tried another working displayport cable and nothing so sounds like an electronic fault which isn't user serviceable so I might search the model of the monitor to read reviews or forums to see if there were any hits or known issues to confirm it but there's nothing you could do if it is not in fact working any more.

Feb 1, 2022
usually I search issues but can't imagine how to frame the search terms 'display port just stopped working on monitor?'? So you tried another working displayport cable and nothing so sounds like an electronic fault which isn't user serviceable so I might search the model of the monitor to read reviews or forums to see if there were any hits or known issues to confirm it but there's nothing you could do if it is not in fact working any more.
The timing aswell, just after reset dp port just suddenly stops working. Anyways here's the monitor name vg259qm if u wanted to look further into it. Thanks.