Question Weird black-screen error with an Nvidia RTX 3070 ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2980851
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2980851

Hey,

I'm using Fedora, previously I had Debian installed. I have already noticed the following error with both (I have had the graphics card for about 3-4 years, the error has been occurring for 1 week),

When I start my PC, I usually get a black screen that won't go away. It doesn't even show that you can enter the bios or anything else. I have connected my HDMI cable with my NVIDIA 3070 directly to my screen. If I use another HDMI cable or Displayport, the screen also goes black. If I turn the PC off & on often it might work eventually. If I do not connect my HDMI cable directly to the graphics card but to the connectors further up (to the motherboard) then I get a picture but in poor resolution & wrong scaling.

I would like to solve the problem. What can I do? Where can I start debugging? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 2980851

Thanks for your reply.

- 48GB ram (corsair)
- cpu: intel core i9-10850k CPU @ 3.60 Ghz
- motherboard: asus tuf gaming z490-plus
- nvidia rtx 3070

I want to add: I already did a reset of my uefi settings. i only enabled intel virtualization and vt-d.

D

Deleted member 2980851

Ah, sorry @rgd1101 that i didn't read your answer clearly for the first time & thanks for asking again @COLGeek :)

The invoice I received from the manufacturer of my PC says "GEH NT ATX 750W Netzteil / ASUS ROG Strix 750G". (Netzteil is German for power supply).

D

Deleted member 2980851

I realized that it doesn't always work when i plug my hdmi cable into my motherboard instead of the graphics card. i tried it often today and it seems that it was just luck the days before.

Hope this info helps!

D

Deleted member 2980851

Nope, doesn't seem to work then either.
Out of interest: What ideas would you have if this were the case?

D

Deleted member 2980851

Good idea, I updated my bios. Unfortunately, it' didn't help.

I have tried connecting to a different display with different hdmi cables, yes. It also didn't work.

D

Deleted member 2980851

Yes, i tried it with both, the behavior still exists.

No, it doesn't go away with a live distro. I can't even get into the bios, because just nothing happens (unless after a few tries).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Then you have pretty much confirmed a hardware problem. The motherboard is the most likely culprit at this point.

You have a good PSU, do you know how old it is?

Have you tried resetting the motherboard BIOS (manually)?

D

Deleted member 2980851

The PSU is also about 4 years old

I also tried this, yes.

I've made a new discovery:

I originally said that a second screen does not work. This was because I started the PC and then plugged in the other screen while the PC was still running.
However, if I plug in the second screen when the PC is still off and then switch the PC on, it works perfectly. If I then plug in the other screen again, I have a picture again, but with the resolution of the old, other screen.

I still have no idea what the problem is.

D

Deleted member 2980851

Wait what? I am talking of my monitors? So i am just changing hdmi cables ^^