[SOLVED] Weird Black Screen on startup issue

Jan 26, 2019
Hello! Have read many articles here over the years to help me fix many problems and hope somebody can help me on this one!
Have a weird issue that has been going on for a while now. I have a HP H8-1534 with:
FX8350
32GB Ram
SSD HD
EVGA GTX1080 ftw

About a year ago, I transferred all internals to a new Roswell Nighthawk case. Ever since, I have an issue with restarts and startups (never had before switching cases and have made no hardware changes other than adding extra HD’s in new case)

On startup, I will get a black screen and I do not believe it is a video issue because as soon as post shows up (when it boots normal) my Logitech steering wheel will calibrate by spinning one way then the other and recenter. When I have the black screen issue, it does not calibrate which leads me to believe that nothing is starting up/loading so it’s not a video card issue I don’t think-its as if nothing at all is happening. There is no hard drive noise or anything, its just the fans running from what I can tell. Also any other USB devices I have do not power up during black screen, whereas they show up as soon as post shows on screen when it boots normally. My Elgato Stream deck for example will illuminate and buttons will show up within seconds of post, when black screen, nothing at all like its unplugged.

In order to get it to start up, I have to do a hard reset, and immediately hit power button within a couple of seconds of it turning off and all will start normal. Also, if it is off for a while, it is a 50/50 shot if it will start normal, or give black screen where I have to do hardreset/power back on. Restarts go to black screen 99% of the time.

Things I have tried:
Turned off Fast Startup mode
Reinstalled Video Drivers
Reseated and tested/moved around all 4 ram slots
Reseated video card
Unplugged Reset button wires from MB (was very touchy on case so didn’t really want anyway since I accidentally restarted a few times)
Unplugged all USB peripherals
Unplugged all un needed hard drives in case (have 4 for media sharing, 1 ssd for steam, 1 ssd for windows)
At the suggestion of a friend, I also tried reversing the power button switch wires at the mobo incase polarity somehow mattered.

Also, want to make it clear, I had NONE of these issues before moving to new case and have changed nothing other than adding a couple more drives, but I can’t think of anything that would make it do what its doing just from putting in new case. Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

Solution
Hello! Have read many articles here over the years to help me fix many problems and hope somebody can help me on this one!
Have a weird issue that has been going on for a while now. I have a HP H8-1534 with:
FX8350
32GB Ram
SSD HD
EVGA GTX1080 ftw

About a year ago, I transferred all internals to a new Roswell Nighthawk case. Ever since, I have an issue with restarts and startups (never had before switching cases and have made no hardware changes other than adding extra HD’s in new case)

On startup, I will get a black screen and I do not believe it is a video issue because as soon as post shows up (when it boots normal) my Logitech steering wheel will calibrate by spinning one way then the other and recenter. When I have the black...
Mar 2, 2019
FX8350
32GB Ram
SSD HD
EVGA GTX1080 ftw

On startup, I will get a black screen and I do not believe it is a video issue because as soon as post shows up (when it boots normal) my Logitech steering wheel will calibrate by spinning one way then the other and recenter. When I have the black screen issue, it does not calibrate which leads me to believe that nothing is starting up/loading so it’s not a video card issue I don’t think-its as if nothing at all is happening. There is no hard drive noise or anything, its just the fans running from what I can tell. Also any other USB devices I have do not power up during black screen, whereas they show up as soon as post shows on screen when it boots normally. My Elgato Stream deck for example will illuminate and buttons will show up within seconds of post, when black screen, nothing at all like its unplugged.

In order to get it to start up, I have to do a hard reset, and immediately hit power button within a couple of seconds of it turning off and all will start normal. Also, if it is off for a while, it is a 50/50 shot if it will start normal, or give black screen where I have to do hardreset/power back on. Restarts go to black screen 99% of the time.

Things I have tried:
Turned off Fast Startup mode
Reinstalled Video Drivers
Reseated and tested/moved around all 4 ram slots
Reseated video card
Unplugged Reset button wires from MB (was very touchy on case so didn’t really want anyway since I accidentally restarted a few times)
Unplugged all USB peripherals
Unplugged all un needed hard drives in case (have 4 for media sharing, 1 ssd for steam, 1 ssd for windows)
At the suggestion of a friend, I also tried reversing the power button switch wires at the mobo incase polarity somehow mattered.

Also, want to make it clear, I had NONE of these issues before moving to new case and have changed nothing other than adding a couple more drives, but I can’t think of anything that would make it do what its doing just from putting in new case. Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

I had the same issue with H8-1534 and the problem for me was a broken power supply (the 12v line) and a damaged pin on the power supply connection to the MB, close to the processor (4 pin connector).
I replaced the power supply and everything is back to normal.
I hope this helps.

Solution