Question Weird boot issue i5-12600k / Asus Prime H610M-A D4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2022
Hi there!

I have a bit of experience building computers, but I'm currently facing a very strange problem.
This is about a system where I've upgraded the motherboard as well as the CPU, but it won't boot (no display using onboard HDMI) and it's giving some sort of code through the power button LED.

You can take a look at the problem here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI1Xa1FPFjg
(the USB in the back is a Windows installation medium, but it's no use since the system won't POST).

I've stripped the system as much as I could to rule out other possible issues, so here are the current specs:
  • CPU: Intel i5-12600k
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime H610M-A D4
  • Memory: single stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe (with Windows installed on it from the previous build)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 450W
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
  • Case: NZXT H510 Elite (black)
And here a current list of things I've tried:
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Installing a different PSU (the one before was a different 400W PSU)
  • Removing unnecesarry parts for troubleshooting (extra RAM stick, additional storage device, GPU)
  • Reseating & swapping slots of memory & NVMe
I've also noticed that Asus does have a page where it talks about power LED codes, but in my case (the power LED switches every 4-ish seconds) this would indicate a boot device error.
My question then would be, if it were a boot error why can I not boot with the Windows installation media directly.

I'm currently really out of options so if you've seen this before or have general things that might be worth trying, I would really appreciate it (and I mean really

Thank you so much in advance,
Thibault

Reactions: em_mor
Feb 26, 2022
You moved the boot drive from the old PC to the new PC and did not do a clean install.........is that correct?

Are both of these PCs set to boot UEFI?

Both Legacy?

Or one of each?

Well I've moved the boot drive from the old PC (running an Intel Core i5-7500) to the PC, so no clean install.
The only reason I have an installation medium plugged in is that I wanted to see if I could get a display, but it didn't help.
The thing is that the system is unresponsive, I'm not getting a display so I cannot get into the BIOS.
I haven't tried reseating the CPU yet, not sure if that would help. Thanks for replying by the way!

Feb 26, 2022
Clarify:

Is your problem that it will not boot from that USB stick on the back side?

Or

Is your problem that it won't boot from the transplanted hard drive from the old PC?

Or

Both?

Or

Something else?

It's both, so it's just not booting from any device it seems (not getting any splash screen, ...).
If you look closely at the video you'll see that the system seems to be starting but the power LED then starts blinking in a systematic fashion, so I think this would indicate that there is some hardware issue at play.

Dec 31, 2022
Hi there!

I have a bit of experience building computers, but I'm currently facing a very strange problem.
This is about a system where I've upgraded the motherboard as well as the CPU, but it won't boot (no display using onboard HDMI) and it's giving some sort of code through the power button LED.

You can take a look at the problem here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI1Xa1FPFjg
(the USB in the back is a Windows installation medium, but it's no use since the system won't POST).

I've stripped the system as much as I could to rule out other possible issues, so here are the current specs:
  • CPU: Intel i5-12600k
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime H610M-A D4
  • Memory: single stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe (with Windows installed on it from the previous build)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 450W
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
  • Case: NZXT H510 Elite (black)
And here a current list of things I've tried:
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Installing a different PSU (the one before was a different 400W PSU)
  • Removing unnecesarry parts for troubleshooting (extra RAM stick, additional storage device, GPU)
  • Reseating & swapping slots of memory & NVMe
I've also noticed that Asus does have a page where it talks about power LED codes, but in my case (the power LED switches every 4-ish seconds) this would indicate a boot device error.
My question then would be, if it were a boot error why can I not boot with the Windows installation media directly.

I'm currently really out of options so if you've seen this before or have general things that might be worth trying, I would really appreciate it (and I mean really

Thank you so much in advance,
Thibault

Hey Thibault - I had excatly the same issue.
The motherboards might say they are 13th gen compatable - but they only are AFTER a BIOS update, and the kicker is that you need a 12th gen CPU in order to get into the motherboard BIOS in order to upgrade it. Catch-22 situation....
NO-ONE (!) tells you this before you upgrade!
I'd bought a 13th gen chip and motherboard together, so once I'd figured this out, I had to buy a cheap used 12th gen Celeron off of ebay only for the purpose of updating the BIOS, then promptly resold it.
James.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.