Weird BSOD upon system restart issue

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Ok so for the past month or so I have been having this problem and I figure its about time I figure it out. So whenever I go to shut down or restart my computer running vista it will say "shutting down" and it will get to about the point where the system would normally shut down but then I get a BSOD that lasts no more than half a second and the system reboots. This happens every single time. Keep in mind my system starts up just fine. So in order to turn my computer off I have been holding the power button down until It shuts off.

As of recently my system appears to no longer show the Blue screen when I go to shut my computer down, It will just reboot as if it is skipping the BSOD. This is unfortunate because I can't even read what the BSOD says anymore.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to install a fresh install of Vista because I would have alot of files to back up. From what I can gather this is not a hardware issue because my system has passed all the memory and hardware tests I throw at it.

I am also conserned this might be interfering with new installations of applications that require a system restart because it is not restarting correctly. I have even noticed that when I do a restart, or shut it down, the system won't save the new location of desktop icons if I move them.

I just want my computer to be able to go to sleep without having to pull the power on it :(

EDIT: Here are the system specs. I built this system myself about 2 months ago. It has been running just fine most of the time.
-4 gig 2x2gig chips of gskill pi ram
-Q9400 Quad Processor (OC to 3.6 and stable)
-ATI 4870, OC mem to 800 (stock it is 750mhz)
-500 gig harddrive Seagate
-650TX corsair PSU
LG optical drive

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
After doing what dmroeder suggested I was able to determine that the BSOD has to do with "usbhub.sys". Anyone know how to fix it? i'm glad its a usb issue of some kind and not something massive like the processor failing.

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Oh I just did some reading online. After unplugging all of my usb devices such as keyboard, mouse, wireless adapter, I tryed a computer shut down and it shut down correctly this time. After doing this i attached usb device at a time and shut down the system to determine what was causing this issue. When I got to keyboard I got the BSOD. So I know the issue is keyboard related. From what I remember, Before Service pack 2, this keyboard worked just fine with my system. Any Ideas?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I have been doing a bit of reading too and it sounds like whatever is happening was common with XP as well. Are you actually using a USB hub? How many devices do you have connected to USB?

The issue may not be the keyboard, but how many devices you have plugged in.

I'll do a bit more reading when I'm off work.

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
no i am not using a usb hub. One thing that i found interesting is alot of people with this problem are using an asus motherboard like I am. What I ended up doing is I got a new keyboard and now everything is fine. I think it had to do with the keyboard not being compatible with vista SP2. weirdo Microsoft

TRENDING THREADS